Far north gbr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As the title says I'm trying to plan my next trip with my partner to the far north region and I was hoping to get some opinions on which trip would be your choice here. It will be in spring around turtle time aboard either the Spirit of Freedom or spoilsport. Now these 2 vessels do the trip a it differently in terms of locations visited and that is what I'm most interested in.

My last trip was aboard the SOF and I loved it but I am more interested in the locations as I think they will be comparable in quality and the price is about $400 different which does not concern me.

The SOF northbound itinerary
day 1 : overnight steam
Day 2: ribbon 9/10 Please note I have been here twice
Day 3: Tijou reef (both vessels will visit here)
Day 4-7: diving "far north region" raine island, great detached region, exploratory.

In the alternative, spoilsport does things a little different

day 1: travel
day 2: Bougainville: Dungeons & Dragons; Crystal Plateau; MV Antonio Tarabocchia.
I have always wanted to see Bougainville, would love to here your experiences.
day 3: Osprey: Admiralty; False Entrance; North Horn.
I have been here twice but its a great spot.
day 4: Tijou & Cat Reef: Catchers Mitt; Pussy Galore.
day 5: TMO (Three Mile Opening); Mambo#5; Aladins Cave.
day 6: Cod Hole; Pixie Pinnacle; Gotham City.
I've been here twice
day 7: Cracker Jack; Clam Beds; Steve’s Bommie.
I've been here twice

So there it is, would you rather see Bougainville and some of the far north region with a return visit to osprey OR see more of the far north region. If you have been to tijou or further north your opinion would be invaluable to me. Keep in mind it'll be the first to go, and it might already be spoiled. If you've been there in the last 2 years tell us your story!

Which one would you prefer?

Thanks.

Bougainville was fantastic, but bare in mind it was many years ago that I dived it.

However it’s rare for a boat to get there due to requirement for certain conditions. So I would not use that a basis for a decision.

Why not try the fat north and see what’s up there!

Great Detatched Reef area is fantastic.

November/December is the time when most trips seem to be to that area. Only two boats seem to go there regularly, with one more doing it every second year or so.

Back
Top Bottom