Farmer John vs Semidry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How is a semi dry suit guna compare to a farmer john? Will a 7mm (or 8/7) semi dry be as warm or warmer as a 7mm farmer john but maybe a but less bulky and less weight needed? Which would be the better choice for Monterey/52 degrees? I haven't ever worn a semi dry and dry suits are outa my price range.

Thanks

Depends on how you handle the cold and for how long.

52F is damn cold in my books and definitely drysuit territory unless you want a 15 min dive.

Semi-dry beats farmer John plus you can still maintain additional warmth with a hooded vest too, but that adds more neoprene and lead to compensate.

Diving is not cheap, but buy something decent and look after it and it will last for years.

If you think drysuits are expensive look at this thread by @stuartv Seaskin Nova drysuit review

Personally I own a different make but I'll be looking at Seaskin for my next purchase.

I do not believe that thick farmer johns are safe, so whether they are warm enough or not is irrelevant. There is simply too much compression at depth to deal with. If you aren't going deeper than 30ft, then that's fine, but I wouldn't do it.

This suit is semi dry and fleece lined. It's epic, but any wetsuit will not be as good as a drysuit as they have suit compression so your cumulative heat loss will be greater. For one dive, no problem, repetitive diving, bite the bullet. Drysuits aren't that expensive.
7mm Deep 6 Wetsuit

I think (custom) fit matters on the Farmer John and Hooded beaver tail. They also have a more sealed neck by having an attached hood. I have two custom Farmer Johns with attached hoods. Skin in custom that take suit lube to get on. There is minimal water intrusion, due to the fit and lack of neck hole or long zipper. I think the Farmer Johns without an attached hood or with full front zippers are missing much of the sealing benefit of the Farmer John plus hooded beaver tail.

The deep6 is very nice, though I have not yet dove mine.

For a 14/7 Farmer John, I'm not sure it adds that much extra buoyancy change over a straight 7mm, it is just the central vest and crotch area that is doubled.

For Monterey, are you diving from shore or boat? Unless you are already into tech, most shore dives are shallower than 50', so buoyancy loss at depth is not so much a worry. Boat dives are often deeper though.

I do double 90 minute dives wet in Monterey, but my suit is a (Heatwave) skin-in 20/10 or 15/5 Farmer John. But I'm shallow, I have redundant lift and air (tiny sidemount or tiny doubles), I understand the buoyancy loss, I can swim it up, I have decent ditchable weight, and I have a hard bottom. Though 56 or 57 is nicer than 52 or 54, and I much prefer a warm cozy room to a cold one.

I think a semi-dry might be easier to get than a custom to measure Farmer John. There are many days I wish I had a drysuit, particularly when it is not a gorgeous sunny day topside or when I'm deeper and it is 52 degrees or less.

farmer john has almost twice the insulation over your core

semidry, despite slightly less water flow through, it is much colder to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom