Medical Fatality in Plura cave system in Norway

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by diving or non-diving medical injuries or conditions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer @tridacna this trip was a Choptima trip, everyone involved is a Choptima diver that is closely associated with Dive Rite. It is unlikely he wasn't on his unit.

Personally I am going to wait on the report, even if it is a medical issue I think the NSS-CDS is likely to release a report on this. It might be a few months, but I am sure we will get one.

Are you sure about that? Jared previously said “knowing that we are not built for long dives in cold water, we chose to dive open circuit doubles.”

Will be interesting to read a factual report.

Are you sure about that? Jared previously said “knowing that we are not built for long dives in cold water, we chose to dive open circuit doubles.”

I wasn't there so I'm not 100% sure. But IIRC that quote was from his first trip. Subsequent trips I've seen pictures of him in the Choptima there. And this trip was posted as being part of Choptima team dive in my FB timeline.

I could probably ask one of my friends that was on the trip, but honestly I am willing to wait for the report for confirmation.

Will be interesting to read a factual report.

The picture of the gear in the original news report seems to show some CCRs on the ice and a couple sets of doubles.

The picture of the gear in the original news report seems to show some CCRs on the ice and a couple sets of doubles.
Most of the Choptima divers I know dive them with doubles. Dil-out setup. You have the Dil in doubles and it is also your bailout gas.
The Oxygen is the little bottle at the bottom of the rebreather.

My understanding is this was a rebreather trip. The people I know who were on the trip were all on Choptimas.

I have my assumptions of what happened as well, but I will hold off until a report is actually issued on the accident. Lots of potential speculation. Some might be right, some will be wrong.

Wow. And that was a very quick accident report release. Anyone know why exactly DAN would be involved on this one?

Wonder how a gag strap would have functioned in this scenario as it seems he tried to b/o, maybe thinking it was ppO2 related.

I have also heard, due to a child who started having seizures, that odds of having more seizures get significantly higher after your first.

Still unbelievably sad.

Wow. And that was a very quick accident report release. Anyone know why exactly DAN would be involved on this one?
If you have a company that makes rebreathers, and one of your family members passes diving one of the rebreathers you make, I would think that you would want to have some official information out ASAP to help quell any rumors about diver error or the like. My guess is that Dive Rite has worked with DAN in the past and this is how they decided to report findings. A DAN article holds more weight than the internet rumor mill. RIP Jared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom