Fatality off of Dania Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From: Body of scuba diver missing off Dania Beach is found - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
DANIA BEACH—
An experienced scuba diver who went missing in 20 feet of water on Sunday afternoon later was found dead, according to officials.

He was swimming back to the boat with his dive partner, about a mile east of Dania Beach and three miles south of Port Everglades, when he disappeared, said Miami Coast Guard spokeswoman Sabrina Elgammal. He had about 20 years of experience diving, she added.

Helicopters and watercraft from the Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade sheriff's offices searched the waters off Dania Beach, where the man went missing just after 1 p.m., Elgammal said.

The search turned up the man's body later on Sunday, said Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright.

Officials did not release the man's name, but did say he was 62 years old.

An investigation was ongoing Sunday evening, Coleman-Wright said.

Speculation -- Heart attack, not dive related.

I just read through the Cozumel thread. We are all too smart for our own good! It will never happen to me...the rules do not apply to me......etc, etc.

My asssumption "diver on surface". Did not inflated BCD, had heart attack and drowned.

USE YOUR BCD....put air in it once you surface. It is a life jacket. If you are floating on the surface, help may be on the way. If you sink...you drown.

We all have been taught some simple and basic rules, they just do not apply, because it never happened to ME before.....

Sorry if too harsh.....

All human life is sacred, why do we not treat it as such...especially our own!

Safe Diving!

Last edited:
Could've been, but wasn't me. Same age same neighborhood.

I know a lot of 60ish divers that have been diving for 30-40 years that have a good chance of dying on or under the water.

Last edited:
So, his buddy went back down? That's the way I read that. Perhaps if he stayed with him to the boat he might have been able too do something or at least his family would know what happened.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Beo, woulda, coulda, I still think scuba puts your heart in a phase that will kill you if it is not doing well, form all the heart attacks under water, diver should get heart transplants in order to dive in there older ages. I don't know if padi will make that a specialty or not, but either die while diving or quit diving.

I will die down under and I'm fine with it,

Last edited by a moderator:
"The two divers rose to the surface and agreed to swim back to the boat." - Sounds like they were both swimming back to the boat, and his buddy didn't leave him. I find it strange that he drowned, considering they were both at the surface, and he probably had his BCD filled. But I guess more information will come, or more experienced divers will chime in.

Yes, I could be completely wrong on all counts. I wasn't trying to cast blame. I really feel for the buddy, esp if they were long time dive buddies.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom