Fatality Vancouver BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question on DPVs - is it common/usual to be connected by a tow line to the DPV? To me this seems to introduce a lot more risks than being able to let go of it. Of course no connection means much easier to lose your DPV.
Yes. Pull trigger and you cruise with no effort. Nothing to hold on to. Nice and relaxed. Release trigger and it stops.

The cord allows you to take your hands off it and it won’t get away from you. On certain dives, that would be vv bad.

A two handed dpv introduces a whole bunch of complication and fatigue.

Interesting bit of the manual for Yamaha DPVs (first DPV manual I found in a google search):

For US version : The Professional Dive Li series unit can be operated by pushing only one trigger or both triggers at the same time. ...

For EU version : Push both Triggers to start the Propeller

I'm guessing EU safety standards are behind the difference.
The Yamaha is essentially a pool toy, not a serious DPV capable of hauling a diver around for hours and hours.

The Yamaha DPV has also been a two handed machine for many years. Its not popular at all. The Apollo is similar actually

Both divers were on rebreathers and they were coming up for their deco obligation..
He was close to a couple of my friends who are Vancouver divers I never heard from my friend that his loop came out of his mouth.. The struggle was to get the scooter unstuck as it was running and jammed on the trigger from the tow rope.
The one thing I never saw mentioned in this thread is a very easy thing to do to stop a scooter that is stuck on and running... You simply take your hand and throw it into the prop shroud and you stop the The blades from spinning... It's a very quick and effective way to disable the scooter...
What ended up in this situation was his dive partner literally had to take his dive knife and cut the toe cord off and the scooter disappeared still running..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom