Fathometer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A buddy on a recent dive used a "fathometer", an 8" tube with a readout that showed how deep the ocean floor was below from the surface. Very handy for dropping down at just the right place on those dives with long surface swims.

Anyone know a good place to get one? Pref. cheap? His was a gift, so he wasn't much help...

I have no idea whether or not this is a good one. For that matter, I don't even know if it's a good price. But it's a starting point, if nothing else...

Gray Portable Sonar System

It's from Target, sold through Amazon. I've had nothing but good results buying all sorts of things through Amazon.

The listing says that's it waterproof to 200 feet and "floatable", though I'm not sure quite what floatable means, or if that makes it more or less suitable for your purposes...

For whatever it's worth, I've seen Headhunter using one that may or may not be the same brand, maybe a PM to him would be helpful.

Good luck,

Adam

Fathometer is an older and rarely used term, it's more often called a depth sounder or fish finder. Depending on the features you want and the resolution of the display the prices range anywhere from $100 to over $2000 for consumer types and the sky is the limit for comercial or military types......I can only imagine what the Navy's cost. If all you need is a depth readout the inexpensive ones do nicely. For identifying the bottom structure and locating fish or wrecks, the more resolution (and expensive) the better. You can find them at any place that carries marine electronics, West Marine and Boats Unlimited come to mind. Also sporting goods retailers have them-Bass Pros and Cabelas for example. Humminbird, Lorance and Garmin are several of the more common consumer manufactures.

Nice, thanks, I'll check with Christian, too. Interesting link... not the same one my buddy was using, but it just might do the trick...

Herman, thanks for the extra background info. The cheapies should certainly suffice when all I want to know is when I hit the pinnacle or drop off.

Ah-ha! That's the one he had. Thanks! Now I have to decide between the known good one and the cheap one. :D

Back
Top Bottom