Fatigue after deco dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marathon/ultra-marathon runner likely means very little body fat = easily susceptible to cold.

That's true about her. I think my LP 95's are bigger than her.

Even then the amount of shivering I do has been cut in half from where it used to be.

Just an FYI, any amount of shivering is bad. By the time you get to actual uncontrollable shivering, you're peripheral circulation already sucks and you're well on the way to hypothermia. At this point, deco is a real crap-shoot since your blood isn't circulating to all the places it needs to be, in the volume needed.

I'd probably forget about deco dives until you can keep yourself warm. Not just "a little less shivering". but actually somewhere in the "comfy" zone.

flots.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, any amount of shivering is bad. By the time you get to actual uncontrollable shivering, you're peripheral circulation already sucks and you're well on the way to hypothermia. At this point, deco is a real crap-shoot since your blood isn't circulating to all the places it needs to be, in the volume needed.

I'd probably forget about deco dives until you can keep yourself warm. Not just "less a litttle shivering". but actually somewhere in the "comfy" zone.

flots.
Shivering means you've dropped core temperature and entered hypothermia.
Hypothermia increases diuresis, which compounds dehydration. Which can make you even colder, since you can't warm well without enough circulating volume. A vicious circle.

How was your temp after today's dive...?

I wasn't that cold at all. It's a great improvement. I only shivered a little bit at the safety stop. Nothing like I used to do though.

---------- Post Merged at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Probably warmer than I was after my dry suit beside turn into a wetsuit.

Haha! :) There wasn't "THAT" much water in your suit. :)

---------- Post Merged at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Marathon/ultra-marathon runner likely means very little body fat = easily susceptible to cold. Couple that with dehydration and you're easily asking for problems.

When I'm diving - deco or not - I force myself to drink plenty of fluids. I would also nix diving wet if you're going to do this kind of diving.

Have you taken a deco class? Full Cave is not a proxy for a Deco class. My question has nothing to do with a card, either. Deco theory goes beyond "sit at 20' on O2 until my DC clears". If not I would really suggest taking one as you could be doing yourself long term damage and not even know it.

Yep took Advanced Nitrox and Deco with Paul and I carry backup deco tables in my pocket.

Haha! :) There wasn't "THAT" much water in your suit. :)

Ha! Did you see when I turned the suit upside down and poured all the water out of it? I think the water level at Peacock went down 3" when I got out of the water. Lol.

Wish you could've stuck around the diving was fun!

Haha! I think that would be an understatement!

---------- Post Merged at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Ha! Did you see when I turned the suit upside down and poured all the water out of it? I think the water level at Peacock went down 3" when I got out of the water. Lol.

Yah I did! I have seen and experienced worse though.

---------- Post Merged at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:09 AM ----------

After doing the Grand Traverse yesterday with absolutely no deco, not even close to any deco, I still felt worn out after the dive so I'm leaning towards the fact that I've been doing longer dives than ever before and because they are longer dives I'm tiring myself out more. Once the excitement and energy of the dive start to decrease and gear is getting loaded up the fatigue sets in. I don't think it has anything to do with subclinical DCS. To go from 40-50 min dives to 90-100 min dives is quite a jump. I will keep all this advice in mind though because it's good stuff.

I've been reading this with great interest. Was wondering if Tracy was going to mention this. But my question is this... Have any of you read the study that says the drowsiness of Dramamine can be increased when used during diving. I ask this because Tracy doesn't make a cave dive without being well dosed with Dramamine. When she does make a cave dive without the Dramamine she spends the end of her dive throwing up on her dive buddy during her safety stop. Unfortunately, I was less than a foot away from her making sure she didn't drown, but got to swim in her vomit. Yay! But what are friends for right? Oh... wait a minute. :)

I've never read about the drowsiness of Dramamine being increased while diving but Dramamine can make some people very tired. Add in fatigue from cold, diving, amd dehydration, I can imagine a very tired girl, indeed.
Drugs can effect you differently depending on your fatigue, hydration, the food you ate. I can imagine diving would certainly change the side effect profile.

---------- Post Merged at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:29 AM ----------

I've never read about the drowsiness of Dramamine being increased while diving but Dramamine can make some people very tired. Add in fatigue from cold, diving, amd dehydration, I can imagine a very tired girl, indeed.
Drugs can effect you differently depending on your fatigue, hydration, the food you ate. I can imagine diving would certainly change the side effect profile.

There's a lot of good stuff here, but I will add that being cold is very tiring. Diving here in the PNW in the wintertime, even when diving Nitrox and staying well within decompression limits (and executing careful ascents), I am very tired after a two dive day, especially if I have been shivering. I think you definitely need to look into a dry suit, especially if you are doing staged decompression dives and getting that cold. But then again, I dive a dry suit in Mexico :)

I've been reading this with great interest. Was wondering if Tracy was going to mention this. But my question is this... Have any of you read the study that says the drowsiness of Dramamine can be increased when used during diving. I ask this because Tracy doesn't make a cave dive without being well dosed with Dramamine. When she does make a cave dive without the Dramamine she spends the end of her dive throwing up on her dive buddy during her safety stop. Unfortunately, I was less than a foot away from her making sure she didn't drown, but got to swim in her vomit. Yay! But what are friends for right? Oh... wait a minute. :)

Why does a cave diver need that drug? I have never heard of this before?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom