fatigue after even a short dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as far as the reg goes I use a mares abyss and compared to others I own its a great reg I am pretty faithful to my safety stops but maybe a longer stop will do wonders as i generally do the recomended stops and not much more due to other peoples time also
IndigoBlue:
Cavediver has given really good advice, to which I would like to add a couple of things.

In addition, think about buying a higher performance reg, like a ScubaPro Mark20 and S600.

Keep your dives shallower, and make your safety stops longer.

Also, see a diving doc and tell him your story. He may check you out for a PFO.

Nitrox may help as well.

Good luck.

What depths/times are you doing?
What's you ascent profile like?
What's your ascent speed up to your safety stop?

As has already been said, try stopping at least halfway between your max depth and safety stop.

If you are just going up to your 15' safety stop, you are ignoring the free phase gas in your body.
The absorbed inert gas exists as both free phase and dissolved phase.
Free phase means that it exists as bubbles. If you generate a bubble on the deeper part of your ascent , it will grow as you ascend, not only due to the reduction of pressure but it acts as a seed for gas to dissolve into. These bubbles may not be causing the classic symptoms of DCS eg joint pain, rash etc but maybe causing sub-clinical DCS ie extreme fatigue.

The only way to reduce the formation of free phase bubbles is to do deeper stops (DAN has started to advocate these).

If on a 100' dive, stop at 50' for 30 seconds, take 30 seconds to travel to 40' and so on. It may add a few mins to your ascent profile but sounds like it may be worth it.

Also, don't be too dis-appointed if using nitrox doesn't relieve your fatigue....I never noticed a diference, though many people say they do.

Disclaimer : I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be one. I would suggest visiting a doctor familair with hyperbaric medicine.
saintsfan:
as far as the reg goes I use a mares abyss and compared to others I own its a great reg I am pretty faithful to my safety stops but maybe a longer stop will do wonders as i generally do the recomended stops and not much more due to other peoples time also

frase:
Also, don't be too dis-appointed if using nitrox doesn't relieve your fatigue....I never noticed a diference, though many people say they do.

Since I started doing deep stops and slower ascents I notice much less difference between fatigue levles on nitrox and air, even on deeper/more strenous dives.

Diving doesn't just relax me, it hyper-relaxes me. It slows me down and relaxes me so much that my blood pressure drops from about 148/9x before the dive to about 128/8x after. I asked my doc about this and all he could say was, "Well I suggest you dive as often as you can." Many years ago I did some yoga/meditation and felt similar following inducement of the relaxed state. Could it be that a slow breathing, relaxed dive simply "mellows you way out" (that's 1970's talk, for you youngsters)? Just a thought...

I'm with Rick..Diving is actually so relaxing for Me..I feel like I'm less fatigued, Zen Kicks in..but all Dives can vary ..How is Your physical conditioning..Ht to Wt. Ratios..Age..Smoke? taking any Meds before You hit the Water?..I'm sure one of the Docs here will see the post and have some clinical advice, I'm just a guy who hands with a bunch of Divers everyday of My life..I here alot of discussions of Diving everyday. Are You sure Your fatigued and not having anxiety problems in the water. Thus causing emotional drain or the onset of mental exhaustion rather than Physical Stress? I'm not a Doctor..Just giving You some ideas...

Hi

I had the same thing last year and asked the board

http://www.scubaboard.com/t29769.html

got some good suggestions. I haven't had the same problem at all this year . . .I think myself looking back it might have been a hydration thing. I've been doing deep stops as well.

saintsfan:
I'm sure its fatigue I am pretty active overall and I am pretty relaxed underwater.co2 retention could I guess be part of it.I know of a few other people with the same complaints with around the same experience.It seems to definately be related to diving and I have recently had a physical.It's probably just normal for me and i guess i just have to deal with it and maybe it will go away as i become a better diver or use nitrox

I wouldn't dismiss your feelings as hypochondria just yet.
Even with a recent physical if it were me I'd have that chat with my physician.

We divers are so conditioned to search for the slightest indication of a body malfunction after diving that we are often hypersensitive during that period. That sensitivity may, only may, be providing a clue to a need for a more focused exam.

If after the focused exam, and the discussion with your physician all is well; Then, in my opinion, it would be wise to just up the exercise program and get used to the feeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom