Favorite 3 mm full suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuckRimfire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for a new suit for warm water diving (specifically, a January boat trip out of Cairns, and snorkeling and maybe a day dive as far south as Jervis Bay). Probably going with a full 3 mm jumpsuit.

Goals are front-zip and good fit for someone on the tall and skinny side. Not a suit I'm going to use a huge amount, so moderate price would be a good trade-off for not quite AWESOME durability, but I also don't want to have it crumble after a dozen wearings. There are a lot of suits out there. Any favorites that fit these criteria?

I use a custom made suit. There are plenty of neoprene companies that do that. You can look at Wetwear.

I don't know if you saw this, which I posted a few days ago:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...-3-5mm-akona-3mm-x-2-scuba-pro-3-2-5-4-a.html

Personally, I'd say that the nicest quality suit I've looked at myself is the Waterproof W3. My LDS has them on sale for $260. This is them:

WaterProof W3 3mm wetsuit

I think other places (e.g. LeisurePro) also have them for the same price.

For under $200, the suits in my review thread are all pretty decent. I spent $160 on my new ScubaPro 3/2 and $105 for a Lavacore Farmer John. Both on Clearance from my LDS. The ScubaPro is not quite as nice as the WaterProof W3. But, for the same overall money, I like having the modularity - i.e. having the Farmer John to wear under other suits also. I wore it under a cheap rental 7mm suit for a quarry dive in 52 degree water (along with Lavacore socks, 5mm boots, and a 5mm skirted hood) and I was totally comfortable.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps!

hi buck. Care to share what you chose? I am in a similar boat. Being an old diver, I preferred a front zip (for years, even when I dove with a front zip, the back zip of my skin was felt under a tank).

The only 3mm front zip I could find in the states is made by Henderson in their Thermoprene line. I tried on a back zip in the line and must say that I am disappointed by Henderson. They seem to be cutting for longer lines and seem not to care about fit/proportion now (it buckled in the front and back armpit area). Also, the neoprene is stiff, like the suits from the 1980's.

On my quest, I tried a 3mm Akona Quantum Stretch back zip and must say I fell in love with its amazing comfort. It almost seems to good to be true. Will be testing it out in the Bahamas in March. I'm curious whether it will loosen up too much in the water and not give a good seal. Will keep you posted if interested.

If you're going on a boat trip with multi-dive days, there is only one choice--the Probe iDry semi-dry in 3 mil. This suit has a fluffy water-shedding fleece lining that dries, literally, in minutes after you doff it and peel it down. When you get back into it after half an hour, the lining is dry and warm even though the outside stays wet like typical wetsuits. It also makes donning very easy. It also traps water and prevents flushing way better than other linings, keeps you really toasty.

Probe is an australian brand. I bought their frogskins and after seeing the quality, and the warmth, and true effectiveness of the quick-dry lining, I am in the process of ordering a full wetsuit for myself here in Florida. You can wait until you get there and find one locally. They have retail outlets there, but none here. But online ordering is easy and the shipment is FAST (I had my last purchase, Aus to Florida, in four days). They answer questions quickly (given the 12 hour time difference). The technology is phenomenal in terms of comfort and warmth. Better than the usual BS gimmicry we see here like "titanium" or "infra red" suits. This tech is real, really works, and provides real comfort. The quality of their products is superb as well. Their 3 mil with hood would run around $275.00 US.

Up until now, I thought nothing was better than my Waterproof W-4. But, mine is going on sale when the Probe arrives.

EDIT, the Probe is back-zip, I forgot to say, but its advantages make up for that. However, I prefer back zips over front so if this is really important you will need something else.

If you're going on a boat trip with multi-dive days, there is only one choice--the Probe iDry semi-dry in 3 mil. ...

You realize this thread is over a year old, right?

Anyway, your new suit sounds pretty interesting. But, it seems a bit short-sighted of Probe to put all that effort into sealing at the neck and back zipper, but not put any kind of seal on the inside of the wrists. The external wrist seal is fine if you're wearing neoprene gloves. But, if I'm diving in a 3mm suit, I am pretty unlikely to be wearing neoprene gloves.

Hit the post button without looking at the dates (which, in the new format, just do not stand out very well). Sorry for resurrecting the zonmbie thread!

I had the same question as you do, and asked Probe directly about it--why no skin seals at the wrists or ankles? Their response was that they never have had any complaints, with 1000 suits sold, about water flushing in around the wrists or ankles. They also said that, when they did use skin seals in those areas on other suits, they had higher repair rates (not big, but I guess they track it).

My experience with the frogskins is that the "fleece" they use really stops water from moving in side the suit. The skins have elastic at the cuffs. When I get out of the water, the water drains down and "pools" at the ankles and wrists and you actually have to pull at the cuff to drain the water out. This is with only 0.5mm neoprene. i notice very little water flushing through them, and have, so far, used them over 20 times for vigorous in-water exercise sessions and not something more leisurely like actual diving.

On the actual suit, I think that flushing at the wrists will likely not be a problem, but I will report on what I find.

Lots of expensive options listed above, and I'm sure they are all very nice. To me fit is everything. I'm lucky and fit the specs listed in most manufactures suits. The best 3 mm suit I've been using is Deepsea (Aqualung's second line), and at $160 I can buy two as compared to a Henderson or a Waterproof (which I found to be a dog). Again, fit is the key no matter other factors of quality or cost.

Lots of expensive options listed above, and I'm sure they are all very nice. To me fit is everything. I'm lucky and fit the specs listed in most manufactures suits. The best 3 mm suit I've been using is Deepsea (Aqualung's second line), and at $160 I can buy two as compared to a Henderson or a Waterproof (which I found to be a dog). Again, fit is the key no matter other factors of quality or cost.

What did you not like about the Waterproof if you don't mind me asking?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom