Favorite class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most fun? Hmm. I've had a lot of good classes -- Rescue was one, Fundies was superb, NAUI Helitrox was a fantastic class, and both cave classes I've taken were fantastic education. But the classes themselves weren't all that much FUN, if you think of fun as something where you would be grinning or high fiving or feeling fabulous about things. Good classes are challenging, and generally leave me dissatisfied with my performance and motivated to go work at improving.

But the "experience dive" for my Helitrox class WAS fun. Unmolested by the instructor, we executed a nice 120 foot dive on 25/25, and I got to enjoy the mental clarity that helium brings. We then NAILED our ascent -- depths, times, and I shot a bag at 40 feet smooth as silk. That was a fun dive!

Most fun- Rescue
But I really loved gas blending and trimix courses.
I am weird, but I actually love getting in the compressor room and filling my own percentages. My tanks mean a lot more to me now, and I am much more secure about them.... It's the mad scientist in me. If I could only find a minion or two....

Rescue was the most challenging by far. Deep Diver was the most fun, despite 33 degree water in a 7 mil wetsuit in late May in Nova Scotia.

Deep Diver in the Red Sea, DM in Lake Superior, Deco in Key West and IDC in Vancouver.
I have been real lucky in the courses I took and Instructors I have had.

Believe it or not I actually really enjoyed learning the tables as part of my OW course. After OW, my funnest class, and the one that most closely met my expectations was my Rescue class.
My wife/buddy and I have also set up several underwater Navigation courses at the local lake for our LDS's Nav class. I had a lot of fun setting those up. At the time, it was the most significant task loading I had experienced: Attention to buoyancy and finning to keep the viz as nice as possible for the class, running a reel to manage distance, accurate navigation, all in changing depths with my buddy at the other end of the reel, running the course to check my accuracy, monitoring my own gas, etc, was a rewarding experience.

Most fun? Advanced Recreational Trimix. Even more than my more advanced Normoxic Trimix class and full Hypoxic Trimix. Because the dives were exciting - beyond what I thought I'd ever do. The night before I did my first 150' dive I could hardly sleep. Then on the dive, at 150', my instructor had me do a valve drill, an air share, and I actually had a real failure with my 70' reg during deco - and dealt with it, no problem. It was a level of diving I had read about, but never dreamed of doing. I knew I was doing something very special. I had a smile on my face for the next week.

I have done dives to double that depth since then, done wreck penetrations at over 200', scootered a bunch, but have never had so much fun as I did during first deco class.

Nitrox was probably the most fun as the instructor would pretty much answer any questions we had about anything (not just Nitrox), he had lots of interesting stories particularly about wrecks, and he also showed us a documentary on a wreck during the class too. I didn't even go diving though! :rofl3: Actually I had to give him two dive plans for diving on nitrox and those dives I did (without instructor around tho) were awesome so I guess I can count that as part of the course too. :)

However other fun courses where I got to dive were Rescue and also Deep course. Rescue was fun as I learned heaps and it was challenging (probably the only challenging course I have done in scuba, I prefer courses to be hard). Deep was good as it was a private class with just me and my buddy so we had a lot of say about the dives and our instructor taught a lot beyond the course requirements too because he had more time just being two of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom