Favorite LED Video Lights ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not surprised the manufacturers are not willing to lend you lights. It's not really in their best interest to have a 3rd party comparison. Exception might be the manufacturer that does not have much presence in the US market. Maybe someone like HDVseatek. He is frequently on the Wetpixel boards promoting his lights. I believe he is in Australia.

I think mfrs. are more willing to lend retailers who will sell the lights like Backscatter.

As a consumer, what I end up doing is trying to find video footage on the internet so I can see the product in action. Fairly easy to do for things that have been out for a while, but not for the new stuff and definitely not as good as a head to head comparison.

I've been observing some of the Youtube and Vimeo videos and find it somewhat helpful. As you mentioned Ron, the older gear is pretty easy to determine. We've decided that we will never be a 'consumer report' agency for dive gear... but our hope is to be the trusted review that divers can rely on for honest evaluations of gear. It seems that most of the demos are strictly sales opportunities. This isn't a problem if there's not much competition on a item, but something like regs and camera gear there's plenty of room for opinion.

On another quick note. LED popularity will bring down the prices and it seems that anything on the market today will be improved upon within a short time.

I use a pair of I-Torch VDO lights. 500 lumens each using 4AA's. Priced right at $300 a pop. Just because I like to dive, dosn't mean I like to get soaked! There is no hot spot and it provides nice white light. They have three different settings and a strobe option. They are quite negative so some bouyancy compensation is recommended. Good luck with your research!
Picture of my rig
Lumix ZS3 Rig --Wide angle Configuration on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
sample video
Scuba diving colorful Verde Island, Philippines on Vimeo
manufacturer
I-Torch - The Smarter Dive Light - Best LED Dive light technology Video Tech and Recreational Lights

Yes, it's nice new technology and competition are bringing prices down. Looks like there are many relatively affordable options in the 500 lumen to 1000 lumen range.

I'm still using my old halogen setup, but will probably go LED in the next year.

Im using two pro v8, It met my budget. Plenty light for night and caves. The angle is just barely wide enough the wide angle im using, so there no wasted light But needing to use two to properly fill the rectangle frame. The two beams knit very well. The light very even. The light head appears to have a regulated power supply which keeps the light output steady, drawing different currents from the battery based on its voltage. Im guessing the head may dim based on measured tempature as suggested by manufacture litature. . They take C but I put AA in them to make the weight right when used on the video housing, reducing total and traveling weight. And im using AA for all the other gadgets brought on the trips, simplifing with one travel charger. I get 2.5 hours from AA Nimh.

Lights using AA (and similar) travel easier, Given led power requirements, compared to halogen, its less weight is more important then the percieved color quality to me. At least finally

I also have a dual Nocturnal SLX 800 setup. I find the 90 degree diffusion is excellent for most of what I do - I am considering going back to 60 degree for a little more throw in the near future, but I have had them set at 90 for a long time now. The rechargeable low-discharge nimh batteries work very well for them. Then you always can bring alkalines for backups.

Nocturnal is also great for customer service!

My "long distance" light is an Intova Supernova - I like the 30 degree diffusion and it has plenty of power to illuminate by hand as I get close enough for the Nocturnals to come into play.

Feel free to look over my videos for examples :wink:

Power always seems to be an issue even with the low drain LED lights. Looking at the specs, it appears that a 5-8 hour duration would be ideal for a light, not having to replace batteries on a boat. While battery technology is improving, the cost is not there yet for us to see them in the 'practical realm' yet... We'll be shooting with several lights in Roatan in a few weeks and looking forward to the results along with reviews and demos from other divers. We'll report back with our findings and hope to have some sample images to share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom