Favorite Liveaboard (Peter Hughes, Aggressor, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMickey -- my daughter and I were on the same cruise. Now will you just quit telling folks about Juliet so that we all have a shot at rebooking again sometime in the next 2 years!!! It wasn't all good. Remember being chased by that giant turtle on our last safety stop?

bcaderunr:
ScubaMickey -- my daughter and I were on the same cruise. Now will you just quit telling folks about Juliet so that we all have a shot at rebooking again sometime in the next 2 years!!! It wasn't all good. Remember being chased by that giant turtle on our last safety stop?

Hi C.
Yeah, that was a terrible trip! That turtle was humongous! Everyone stay away!

We're talking about trying to book again for next June. It's tough though, he books up so fast.

I'm also looking at next June but realize that we probably need to book it ASAP.
Let me know if you find open spots around that time.

Jinjer:
What is your favorite live aboard? Why?

Who has the nicest accomodations? Best Food? Best Service? etc.

We are looking to do a live aboard for the first time. We thinking of doing Belize, but would love to hear what everyones preferences are.

I know there are different levels of live aboards, just like cruise ships. Which live aboards are considered to be the top?

Thank you for your input.

Part of this question poses a problem for many. For instance, I have only been on two liveaboards. Two is not very many liveaboard experiences to choose from as far as experiences go. Both of my experienceswere great, but I woud give the edge to Peter huges "Star Dancer".

Aggressor has not let me down yet. I haven't been on a Peter Hughes, but would consider them very similar.

I rarely respond to questions on this board finding it much more beneficial to read the responses from others and then make my own decision based on all the information I have available. I was prompted to respond to your question about liveaboards because of a recent advertisement sent to me by Peter Hughes Diving. The ad was the standard stuff about liveaboards and what they offer blah blah blah… Of all the people in the country, I am one that should be permanently removed from their mailing list. I received information from this company in 2002, and contacted them to be removed from their mailing list at that time. I have been on the Wind Dancer in the Turks and Caicos Islands (Providenciales) in 2000 and loved the trip. We all enjoyed the trip so much that the Richmond Dive Club booked another trip for the following year, within about two months of our return from Provo. We decide to go to Belize this time on another Peter Hughes boat. We booked to early October. Unfortunately the trip did not go as we had planned and 20 people lost their lives when we were struck by hurricane Iris. I will not go into any details about why or how, but do know this. YOU and YOU ALONE are responsible for your safety on any vessel, choose wisely when you go onboard a dive boat of any size or type. My wife and I made it on the Nekton Pilot last August and had a very good time. Once the jitters passed about being on a boat again. The captain and crew did all that I requested of them (they kept the shiny side of the boat up). The reason we chose the Nekton boats for a reentry into liveaboards was primarily they are a US registered ship and have to follow USCG regulations. I found the ship to be very slow but it was extremely stable. I have never been very susceptible to seasickness, but was definitely much more in tune with the motion of the vessel than most others on the Pilot that week. My wife and I had a great time and have decided to go on the Nekton Rorqual this October to the Cayman Islands.
I do not have a favorite vessel at this point, but I do think asking a lot of questions before you go is a smart move and if any company/dive operator does not seem to have the time to answer them fully and to your satisfaction, its time to find another operator.

Rick Patterson
Survivor Wave Dancer October 2001
Still diving but still missing my friends...

Thank you everyone for your input on this thread. I appreciate hearing everyones experiences/preferences with liveaboards. I realize that probably not too many people have had the opportunity to experience multiple liveaboards, but I appreciate hearing what everyone liked/disliked about the ones they have been on and whether they would go on another liveaboard with that same company.

I also appreciate the fact that Rick was willing to post on this thread. I have just recently learned about the Wind Dancer incident, and have been anxious to learn more about what transpired, especially how the incident was handled by everyone involved.

Please continue to share your input on liveaboard pros/cons.

I prefer smaller companies with more constant crew than what's the norm on Peter Hughes, Aggressor, and Mike Ball. When I've been on boats where the crew isn't changing every few months the food is always consistently good, the critter spotting is a well rehearsed ballet, and the attention to guests is more personal.
I've been on several boats where we've been lucky enough to have new chefs, new dive masters, or new boat tender drivers and were rewarded with pretty awful food, dive guides that couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, and boat tender drivers that really shouldn't be driving more than a tricycle.

Rick Patterson:
...YOU and YOU ALONE are responsible for your safety on any vessel, choose wisely when you go onboard a dive boat of any size or type. My wife and I made it on the Nekton Pilot last August and had a very good time. Once the jitters passed about being on a boat again. The captain and crew did all that I requested of them (they kept the shiny side of the boat up). The reason we chose the Nekton boats for a reentry into liveaboards was primarily they are a US registered ship and have to follow USCG regulations....

First welcome back to the live-aboard world. You're to be congratulated. Not many people would be able to return after what you went through.

I've made 7 or 8 trips on the Nekton boats (with another coming up next week Woo Hoo!) and one of the reasons that I keep going back is their consistently highly professional crews. I've also been on the Aggressor boats a couple of times and they've had good crews.

However, it ain't always the case. There are a lot of sloppily run boats out there.
Luke

Rick Patterson:
... but I do think asking a lot of questions before you go is a smart move and if any company/dive operator does not seem to have the time to answer them fully and to your satisfaction, its time to find another operator.

What are some of the questions I should be asking? I'm going out on the Solmar V next month (to Isla Guadalupe), and it's my first liveaboard.... I'm not into luxury (I feel like it's wasteful, money better spent on going more places, etc., I'm a 'utilitarian', if there is such a thing), but it's the only boat they're chartering for these dates. Seems to have a good track record...?

That's quite an ordeal you endured Rick, but it's good to know you made it through.
Cheers,
t

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom