Favorite obscure movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adder70

Contributor
Reaction score
What is you favorite movie that not many other people may have heard about?

One of my favorite of all time didn't even make the theatres as far as I know. Charlie Sheen did "Beyond The Law" in 1992, and I saw it on HBO in the mid '90's. I loved it and managed to tape it after about 2 years of trying to remember to check listings when I finally caught it on it's first showing of a month of runs. You couldn't even order it from Media Play in 1999. I tried and got an old western starring Lee Van Cleef! My wife finally found it a few years ago, as it is becoming something of a cult hit.

Charlie plays Dan Saxon, a cop with issues who loses his job. He is recruited to go undercover in the desert biker gangs and kind of goes a bit too far in fitting in. It was based on a true story, and they took a LOT more liberties in a similar picture starring Brian Bosworth a few years later. (Stone Cold?) I much prefer Beyond The Law, and I recommend it to anyone.

So what's your secret movie?

hmmm… I don't how these would rate on the obscurity scale. You tell me.

Snatch, Waiting for Guffman, A Very Long Engagement, Broken Wings, A Mighty Wind.

Chilly Scenes of Winter (also released as Head over Heels). A very quirky relationship film starring William Heard, Marybeth Hurt, and Peter Riegert.

Boonedock Saints. It rocks!

Spike Lee's "Girl 6." I really liked this movie. It was very experimental for a mainstream movie with a lot of nice social commentary and a soundtrack by Prince. I thought it had a very good feel to it, though it was marketed completely differently. Surprisingly it deals with a lot of the same themes as his "Bamboozled." I suppose it isn't too obscure but it did so badly in box office that it hasn't been released on DVD.

Household Saints starring Lili Taylor. Great actress. I'm sure no one has heard of that one, or seen it.

I like most of Woody Allen's movies, and unfortunately those are pretty obscure.

A hugely funny French film by the same director as Amelie and A Very Long Engagement. It's a post-apocalyptic black comedy about an ex-clown who is hired as a handyman by a butcher. The butcher owns an apartment building and has served all the other previous handymen as dinner for the apartment-dwellers because meat is so scarce. But this time the butcher's daughter falls in love with him and tries to help him escape. Full of weird characters, like the vegetarian underground resistance (Troglodytes), brothers who make "moo" cans, and a lady who keeps trying to kill herself by more and more complicated methods that never seem to work. Favorite scene is the one where two people are having sex and everyone in the building is doing things in the same rhythm. I keep waiting for this to come out in DVD (they have it in Region 2 but not Region 1).

I have a few, but unsure how "obscure" they are:

LaFemme Nikkita (the FRENCH film, not the cheesy knockoff with Bridget Fonda)

Strictly Ballroom (it's an Australian film about dancing)

The Final Option (22nd SAS versus bad-guys)

My Name is Nobody (a spagetti western starring Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill)

Emperor of the North (a movie about hobos ... starring Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine and Keith Carradine)

The Pathfinder (a Norwegian film about "nomads in the north" a few hundred years ago)

capybara:
A hugely funny French film by the same director as Amelie and A Very Long Engagement. It's a post-apocalyptic black comedy about an ex-clown who is hired as a handyman by a butcher. The butcher owns an apartment building and has served all the other previous handymen as dinner for the apartment-dwellers because meat is so scarce. But this time the butcher's daughter falls in love with him and tries to help him escape. Full of weird characters, like the vegetarian underground resistance (Troglodytes), brothers who make "moo" cans, and a lady who keeps trying to kill herself by more and more complicated methods that never seem to work. Favorite scene is the one where two people are having sex and everyone in the building is doing things in the same rhythm. I keep waiting for this to come out in DVD (they have it in Region 2 but not Region 1).

Yeah, I saw this one years ago and it is weird. i don't think I could watch the entire thing.

Who has seen Naked Lunch with Peter Weller? Now that one is interesting, and very strange. Its taken from William Burrough's book of the same name. You kind of have to watch it twice to get it.

Can't leave out Brazil and A Clockwork Orange.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom