Favorite obscure movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I saw Delicatessen back when I was in high school off a friends recommendation. An excellent, quirky movie with tasteful effects and a strange post-apolcalyptic world.

I'm into some really sick/obscure movies. My favorite obscure movie is "Big Fat Ethel." Also known as "Criminally Insane." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072831/

This movie is about a 250lb girl that eats so much that when she is told she can't eat anymore she starts killing people and eating them. She calls delivery boys to her house to eat them. It's a real funny movie.. :)

Matt

I have two favorites:
Big Trouble in Little China and Amazon Women on the Moon.
The last is a bit more obscure, but hilarious, and surprisingly, with many familiar faces.

suthnbelle:
Household Saints starring Lili Taylor

that is a very good movie. Also, check out I Shot Andy Warhol.
She's great in it.

my partial list:

-- anything written by Charlie Kaufman, thus far, Being John
Malkovich
, Adaptation, and The Eternal Sunshine of
the Spotless Mind
are my favorites.

-- City of God (Brazilian). great flick about drugs and crime in the
slums of Rio de Janeiro

-- Cronos (Mexican). a tale about techonology, magic, immortality,
vampires, and love. awesome

-- Sling Blade. Really depressing, but Billy Bob Thornton is amazing

-- Sunshine. Ralph Fiennes plays three generations of a Hungarian
family caught up in WW I, WW II and the Cold War. AWESOME movie.

-- The Killer, or anything, really, by John Woo. Gotta see it.

and finally:

-- Chinatown. this is probably, in my book, a perfect movie. the
script is just awesome.

Reminds me of "Ed and His Dead Mother", which is a bit obscure...

Maybe not "obscure" the way the rest of yours are, but "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar" has been a girl favorite forever. Whenever my girlfriends and I were feeling down, we'd just have to say "It's a Say-Something Hat Day"....still works years later.

And don't forget:
John Waters (saw Serial Mom on Encore the other night, complete with a fat Ricki Lake and a cameo by Traci Lords. I also loved Pecker, Polyester, Lust in the Dust...)

Pedro Almodovar (My fave is Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! a young Antonio Banderas with Victoria Abril)

Josiane Balasko (French Twist, also with Victoria Abril, this time with lesbians. A very funny film.)

Paul Bartel (Eating Raoul, Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills)

Luc Bresson (The Big Blue - a great freediving film, wonderful photography, The Professional and of course, La Femme Nikita)

Kevin Smith (Clerks and Chasing Amy are my favorites, with Dogma a close third.)

Snoochie Bootchies,
Grier

Glad to see someone else has mentioned John Waters. Pink Flamingos is a classic. I'm also a big fan of desperate living.

Matt

H2Andy:
-- City of God (Brazilian). great flick about drugs and crime in the
slums of Rio de Janeiro
One of my FAVOURITES. Seu Jorge, who was Mané Galinha in that movie, is in Life Aquatic as the guy who translates David Bowie into Portuguese. I really respect him, since he grew up in the favelas himself.

"Mané Galinha made a rule of not killing innocent people, but as always, after a while there comes an exception to the rule, and then after time, as always, the exception becomes the rule."

Who has seen Napoleon Dynaminte? It has its funny moments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom