Favorite obscure movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe not to obscure...

Blazing Saddles Mel Brooks look at race and the expansion of the railroad. (more or less)

The Princess Bride

Fargo

"Blazing Saddles" is by no means obscure !!!

. . . "Prepare to die !!"

Princess Bride - That movie is one of my all time favorites. "My name is Enigo Montoya you killed my Father...Prepare to DIE!!!!" :wink:

I also agree with KBeck on To Wong Foo. What a pick me up.

I remember Silent Running a Bruce Dern Great. Made me sad when he killed the one robot and left the other robot all alone. Very Sad.

and I gotta go with Grier on Dogma, that is one of my favorites.

My other favorites (maybe not so obscure, but definitely not big Block Busters):

The Big Blue

A Pyromaniac's Love Story

Young Frankenstein (okay, this one maybe pretty big)

Contact

The Final Option (22nd SAS versus bad-guys)

Great movie. From what i have heard the SAS actually provided technical support for that movie. NOTE to self, do NOT get the SAS mad...

How about "The Wild Geese"?? Richard Burton and Roger Moore and I'm sure few have seen it.

"Leon" aka "The Professional" in the US.

Anyone see "Ronin"?? Another good Jean Reno film

"Bravo Two Zero", another SAS movie. Set during the first Gulf war. True story.

Both "Blazing Saddles" and "The Princess Bride" are in our DVD collection. Both are very good.

I almost forgot "The Sea Wolves" with David Niven.

cool movie suggestions- glad to say I have seen a high percentage of them

Grier- great taste dude :)
I love John waters and Pedro Almodovar- tie me up tie me down- say no more!

Some really cool Japanese ones- not neccesarily obscure but:

suicide club- put it this was- lots of blood and a roll of skin and an ending with children and baby chicks in a giant box

Ichi the Killer- absolutely fantastic- really the best- very bloody and totally mad

Battle royale 1 & 2- highschool kids get put on an island as partof a game show and they have to kill each other- last one standing wins

Ong Bak- Thai kickboxing movie- very cool Kung-fu kicks and lots of gritty stuff (heralded at the thai John Woo)

I could go on- and on......

OH- and you can get all region DVD players fairly cheaply now - for export abraod of course :wink:

These really aren't my faves, but they are ones that left an impression/memory in me:

Naked Lunch: as noted above, a very strange movie, but definitely a flag bearer for obscure/strange movies.

Amazon Women on the Moon/Kentucky Fried Movie: Same types of movies, but definitely must sees during my college days.

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover: Um...gross? (if you saw the ending, you know) Also, many put this on their most disturbing movie list. Also one from my college days.

Kelly's Heroes, a war comedy with Clint Eastwood, Telly Savales, Donald Sutherland and Don Rickles - among others.

Into the Night with Michelle Pfeiffer and Jeff Goldblum.

Back
Top Bottom