Favorite obscure movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs.Prages:
Princess Bride - That movie is one of my all time favorites. "My name is Enigo Montoya you killed my Father...Prepare to DIE!!!!"

Yes... not sure how "obscure," but a great movie. You could generate a lot more great quotes!

Mrs.Prages:
Silent Running

I was going to mention that, but also wasn't sure how "obscure" it was. I'm not a big fan of Joan Baez, politically or musically. But I still get chills when I see and listen to the credits...

--Marek

Some excellent movies have already been listed...

I would add:

Being There - Peter Sellers as an autistic (maybe?) gardener thrust into Washington politics.

Some Really cool movies that are some of my favorite mentioned here. Many I have in my collection.. :) Babettes Feast and Vampyros lesbos are both released by Blue underground. I have many Franco films, and I like all of his vampire films. He also reminds me of Jean Rollin (Living Dead Girl). Blue underground has a great movie selection and does quality jobs on their releases. Cronos is another one on the list which is a really cool film that I like. Naked Lunch is one of my favorite movies, and why we are on that subject Altered States might as well be mentioned..

Amazon women on the moon and the Kentucky Fried movie are some of my favorite comedies. The opening sequence with Arsenio in Amazon woman is a classic.

I'm a big fan of japanese horror cinema as well. I really liked Ichi though it was a bit slow at times. Suicide Club seemed a little weird to me. I remember hearing about the opening sequence for ages, and the blood splatters seemed too fake for me. The Computer CGI lacked, and I am a fan of old school methods of special effects (Rubber/latex/etc.). I did like the premise of the movie though, and laughed quite a few times. Versus is another good one from over there. The Guinea pig series was fun. The Man behind the sun series is brutal if you can find it. I liked human pork chop and Ebola Syndrome quite a bit as well. Battle Royal 1 is a masterpiece. It is truly a remarkable movie once you look past the violence. The relationships between the characters was very well done. As for the 2nd one, I thought it was awful. You could tell the director of the first one died in the middle of filming the 2nd one. The son took over the production and it seems like cheeze compared to a kurosawa like first battle royal. Just my opinions of course, but I'm a big fan of Horror from around the world, and Japan makes some of the best. Naked blood is another pretty hardcore film from over there. Oh well, enough rambling about it, if you are interested in some of these styles of movies (as I see some are), feel free to drop me a line and maybe I could recommend some other fun films (for horror/gorehounds).

Matt

Donnie Darko with Frank the giant rabbit, great flick.
Boondock Saints about two Irish brothers tearing up the mob. (sequel in the works)
And pretty much anything by Quentin Tarintino, and Kevin Smith.

Don't know that these are really obscure but they are a couple of my favorites:
Dazed and Confused & The Big Lebowski.

gfisher4792:
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover: Um...gross? (if you saw the ending, you know) Also, many put this on their most disturbing movie list. Also one from my college days.

gfisher4792..This was indeed a very weird movie. I'd like to see it again. Do you know if it's on DVD?

plsander:
Some excellent movies have already been listed...

I would add:

Being There - Peter Sellers as an autistic (maybe?) gardener thrust into Washington politics.

Absolutely! Being There is one of my all-time favourites!! Absolutely brilliant.

Green_Manelishi:
My Name is Nobody (a spagetti western starring Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill)

Don't forget, "They call my Trinity" and "Trinity is still my name."

To add my favorites:

"Private Eyes" w/ Tim Conway and Don Knotts.

"Never Cry Wolf" w/ whatsisface.

"The Fisher King" w/ Robin Williams.

Two of the funniest movies I have ever seen and few people know them.
The Gods Must be Crazy - parts 1 and 2

All this mention of foreign films got me remembering a couple of greats.

The Soldier of Orange with Rutger Hauer. EXCELLENT Dutch movie about a fighter furing WWII. No dubbing or miraculous speech in English while in Germany here, the film has sections with almost all speech in Dutch, French and English, so you get subtitles for about a third of the movie, no matter where you are. Very cool!

A great French film entitled Les Ripoux. There is no direct translation since it is kind of a made up word. THe best translation is probably "The Tenrots", a scrambled version of "The Rottens". It is an absolutely hilarious comedy about a police rookie being partnered with a cynical detective on the take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom