Question Favorite resorts in Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Club. Breakfast and lunch included, with a low key dinner option, but close to downtown with all the great restaurants. Slow boats, but I actually enjoy the leisurely rides. We have stayed at both El Prez and the Coz Palace in the past, but the last 8 trips to Coz have been at Scuba Club. It is a real bargain.

My question is, why do you prefer it? From what I have seen it looks to be similar quality to Cozumel Palace, but you only get breakfast and nothing else. For the same cost it seems you can get a better experience elsewhere. Is it that much nicer? Any suggestions for a first time visit? Thanks.

No I really can't give you a side-by-side comparison. We spend 2-3 months a year in Coz so are familiar with the resorts but the high-end resorts are not my thing. Years ago, the 'wow' factor meant something to me but now we usually go the AirBnB route. If I was bringing family/friends that haven't been here before then the fancier resorts (ignoring costs) would be more of an option. A couple of our friends that stay at both those resorts prefer El Presidente because of the more open feel and large beach which is why I'd choose it for my family & friends. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, sorry can't give you more detailed information.

I am staying at El Presidente in April. My wife and I go to Cozumel twice each winter and have stayed at most of the nicer all inclusive resorts. She has been trying to get me to stay at El Presidente for years but I have always convinced her it was better to stay at Cozumel Palace for the same price as it is all inclusive, or to stay at Iberostar or Grand Park Royal for less. This April she wouldn't be convinced so we are booked at El Presidente.

My question is, why do you prefer it? From what I have seen it looks to be similar quality to Cozumel Palace, but you only get breakfast and nothing else. For the same cost it seems you can get a better experience elsewhere. Is it that much nicer? Any suggestions for a first time visit? Thanks.
I'd be interested in your take after your stay at El Presidente. The biggest selling point, to me, is that there's an actual beach (albeit a fairly small one) while there isn't one at Palace. Unless you are using points, I suspect that you are going to end up paying double vs. what you'd pay at Palace (if you enjoy day drinks and stay at the hotel for dinners).

I'm also debating Roatan, Bonaire, Cozumel, and T&C, all of which we've visited before. I'm hesitating on Roatan for a Dec trip because their wet season seems to be extending into March and we had a trip in Jan when a few days were wiped out due to storms. We really love Bonaire but we usually fly on miles and the redemptions are terrible compared to 20k/pp for Roatan or T&C. Provo in T&C looks too far from the reef (i dove in Grand Turk a decade ago but probably not enough to do nor enough infrastructure for family/kids). I'll be returning to Coz for the first time with family in May (Iberostar) and I'm wondering if I should wait to see how that trip goes before I book our Dec trip.

I am staying at El Presidente in April. My wife and I go to Cozumel twice each winter and have stayed at most of the nicer all inclusive resorts. She has been trying to get me to stay at El Presidente for years but I have always convinced her it was better to stay at Cozumel Palace for the same price as it is all inclusive, or to stay at Iberostar or Grand Park Royal for less. This April she wouldn't be convinced so we are booked at El Presidente.

The food at Presidente is really nice. There's a lot of options (both casual and fancier). Also I think the rooms are a bit more luxurious and newer in furnishings than Cozumel Palace. Presidente also has a nicer beach and much larger, quieter pool area that is just amazing to soak in while staring off in to the unset. In general the resort is HUGE and quite quiet/serene. The gym is also fabulous, as is the spa and they even have some tennis courts for use.

That being said I think Coz Palace has a nice location thats walkable to town, if thats your thing! Im actually thinking of staying at Cozumel Palace to be closer to town this time but still undecided...

I didn't see this mentioned but I may have missed it. Another advantage to El Presidente is that you can choose any dive op and they'll pick you up from your pier. If you're diving with the house op at El Presidente or the Coz Palace, of course you'll board at the hotel pier, but El Presidente is right next to and south of the marina. There's no need to choose a dive op that'll pick up north of the marina or to figure out transportation to the marina.

We've stayed at most of them. Fiesta Americana & Explorean were our go to resorts (stayed 10+ times) but they've lost all their oceanside facilities (over two and half years and counting!), including any use of the pier, which makes them hard to recommend at the moment. Out of the rest down south, Iberostar is the best option unless you get a very good deal at Secrets or Dreams (both are vastly overpriced for what they offer and are nothing like other Secrets or Dream resorts). Agree with OregonDM - Allegro has cafeteria grade food. Occidental is better but you only get 3 a la carte rezzos per week unless you upgrade to their Royal Level, which we did, as the buffet is not good. I'd only stay at Occidental again if it was considerably cheaper than Iberostar. Sunscape is rundown and the food is meh.
Just an update in case someone comes across this thread in the future. FA & Explorean have reopened their oceanside facilities (finally!). Once they get the main pool fixed up, they'll be our go to resorts again.

We have made Blue Angel Resort our vacation home and dive op for over a dozen years.

Back
Top Bottom