Question Favorite resorts in Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have stayed 3 times since the oceanfront facilities were closed and have done the Bubba picnic oceanside. And the daily taxis to marina Fonatur because the pier is closed 🙄

However, each time was worse than the last. After they let the only remaining pool deteriorate to the point where it became too dangerous to hold any activities in it, we stopped going. Which is a shame as we enjoyed the food and service there. We only found better at Palace (at twice the cost).
Must be $$ problems. Too bad, liked the place, location...

Must be $$ problems. Too bad, liked the place, location...
My guess is that corporate won't release capital improvement funds until the beach closure is resolved. But since that's based on a (federal) political problem, it's not going away anytime soon. So the property degardes, which results in fewer repeat customers, which further reduces available capital, and it spirals down.

Ive been staying at the Presidente for the last 21 years once to three times a year. Yes the prices keep getting higher and quite frankly don't make sense compared to everything else on the Island but every time I try somewhere else I end up going back. To me nothing beats it. The beach front rooms just open the slider and the boat is right there waiting for you in the mornings. Easy taxi to go in town for dinners. Snorkeling was excellent before 2005 but still decent compared to everywhere else. So yes I still bend over and pay the price because I'm always happier there than anywhere else. My 2 pesos.
I have stayed at many places on the Island over the last 25 years. Presidente is my favorite. Great pools and swimming area. Good shore diving. Close to the reefs. Not far from town. Great onsite restaurants. Spacious, comfortable and clean rooms.
There are sometimes really good deals offered. Even if there aren't good deals during high season times, it is IMO worth the money.

El presidente is the best hotel on the island, no question. If price isn't a concern, you should stay there. I haven't seen any really good deals there since travel picked up post covid. It's often priced above Cozumel Palace which is all inclusive vs. Presidente which is pay (a lot) for everything.

for El presidente, are people doing food - 1/2 board or something ?? is the shore diving a nice benefit ??
looking for a week between possibly here, or Iberostar or somewhere else..
(we have never been to mexico, so a bit out of our element)

planning for mid summer this year. just got home from sandals curacau a couple weeks ago.

planning for mid summer this year. just got home from sandals curacau a couple weeks ago.

Cozumel resorts are much different than Curacau resorts like Sandals. Cozumel is much more laid back and are not filled with activities like Sandals. The Riviera Maya has tons of those types of resorts but not Coz. The El Presidente is probably the most ‘Sandals’ like resort but I do believe all Coz resorts charge you for the toys, maybe free kayaks and SUPs but that’s it. The resorts way south (I.e. Iberostar) are pretty rustic compared to Sandals but have great laid back ‘island’ vibe. Coz is really geared for divers. Snorkeling or diving near shore is so-so at best. If you like diving, wonderful people and great hole-in-the-wall restaurants you’ll love Coz but it is not the place for big fancy AI type resorts.

Maybe you know this but when you said you haven’t been to MX I thought I’d throw this out there.

Cozumel resorts are much different than Curacau resorts like Sandals. Cozumel is much more laid back and are not filled with activities like Sandals. The Riviera Maya has tons of those types of resorts but not Coz. The El Presidente is probably the most ‘Sandals’ like resort but I do believe all Coz resorts charge you for the toys, maybe free kayaks and SUPs but that’s it. The resorts way south (I.e. Iberostar) are pretty rustic compared to Sandals but have great laid back ‘island’ vibe. Coz is really geared for divers. Snorkeling or diving near shore is so-so at best. If you like diving, wonderful people and great hole-in-the-wall restaurants you’ll love Coz but it is not the place for big fancy AI type resorts.

Maybe you know this but when you said you haven’t been to MX I thought I’d throw this out there.
Way too many great spots to eat authentic food, I prefer to stay close to town.

yep, wanting a more dive oriented.. not an activities need.. if that makes sense.. just diving and some food.. we don't really utilize sandals for what they offer.. just diving usually.
was debating here, Roatan, Bonaire... figured a quick mexico trip could be nice..
hope that makes sense... thanks much for your time. I do appreciate the information and feedback. it will be a change for sure..

If Money isn't an issue - El Presidente.
I am staying at El Presidente in April. My wife and I go to Cozumel twice each winter and have stayed at most of the nicer all inclusive resorts. She has been trying to get me to stay at El Presidente for years but I have always convinced her it was better to stay at Cozumel Palace for the same price as it is all inclusive, or to stay at Iberostar or Grand Park Royal for less. This April she wouldn't be convinced so we are booked at El Presidente.

My question is, why do you prefer it? From what I have seen it looks to be similar quality to Cozumel Palace, but you only get breakfast and nothing else. For the same cost it seems you can get a better experience elsewhere. Is it that much nicer? Any suggestions for a first time visit? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom