Fawlty Tours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sounds like a comedy of errors!!

or...just a few ordinary things that happened at nearly the same time.

Let's see now, the captain gets knocked out in the bridge. Is that such a strange thing? The crossings to Osprey Reef can be very rough and the possibility of a slip anywhere on the vessel is high. Not a stretch to imagine the captain slipping and getting a bonk when the Taka got hit by a "big one".

The cook throws a wobbly. Did he take umbrage at complaints that only one rasher of bacon was served per guest at breakfast? Could be, but that is only wild speculation on my part. But it's not such an outrageous event, people go berserk all the time, even in Warra I suspect. Unfortunately for Taka and Deep Sea Divers Den this tosser got on their vessel; fortunately for them they had a good crew that got the situation under control before anyone was hurt. Kudos to them for that. And the likelihood that this type of person will crew for them again...a lot less for sure. Here is a good analogy to that:

The vessel goes aground on the reef. Now that is not a good thing for sure but that is something that must happen with some regularity in such a grounding-rich environment as the GBR (considering all the vessels that use the area...not just Taka). And we don't know how the grounding took place so we really can't comment on it too much. With a groggy captain and a crew preoccupied with wrassling down the chef maybe currents changed whilst on the mooring ball and they bumped the reef....who knows.

So anyway...bad luck for Taka...and a bad news story for them. But I know that I will dive with them again. For those who want budget live-aboard diving, Taka delivers.

the article is vague, but the implication to me was that the cook had something to do with the skipper being knocked unconscious? Maybe not. In any event, the cook was charged with "assault causing bodily harm" and I don't think there's any good justification for that. "it's not such an outrageous event, people go berserk all the time" ??? - c'mon.

It says the vessel went aground when it went back out, with a new skipper - not "with a groggy captain and a crew preoccupied with wrassling down the chef."

the article is vague, but the implication to me was that the cook had something to do with the skipper being knocked unconscious? Maybe not. In any event, the cook was charged with "assault causing bodily harm" and I don't think there's any good justification for that. "it's not such an outrageous event, people go berserk all the time" ??? - c'mon.

It says the vessel went aground when it went back out, with a new skipper - not "with a groggy captain and a crew preoccupied with wrassling down the chef."

Yup....I agree...no justification at all for that behaviour. You're hung-over, your wife left you, the bank is foreclosing....the list could go on...and my response would still be "suck it up princess" and "get on with it". But it's still not an outrageous event..or does this not happen in Boston...c'mon. I'll admit it...people sometimes go berserk...even in little ole PG.

As to the grounding rebut...I did miss that tidbit about the grounding happening with the new skipper...point taken. But again...not such an outrageous thing for reasons I gave before. Not right or good...but not outrageous.

It is outrageous. I work in an office and if someone were to knock someone unconscious it would be completely outrageous. Yes this is even worse. The cook was AT WORK. He was at work in a role that is purely customer service. Being out on a boat, 200ks from land, what could be more important than customer safety.

To add further.

It seems that the major complaintant was diving for free and her partner at half price.

A phone call to me suggested that Taka was bribed to refund partners flights, tax's and all accommodation otherwise a the trip would be leaked to the Media.

2 replies in the " letters to the editior " section were printed in the Saturday edition. One suggesting that the Operator lift their game as it was a poor reflection on Tourism as a whole in this region.

Second reply stated that the complaintant should pull her head in and get a life as this operator had been running a successful operation without incident for over 20 years and that this situation was unique.

Finally after checking todays paper..... the Cyclone has become the priority and its business as usual , it appears.

In a perfect world none of this would have happened ... guess what the world is not perfect and these events are unfortunate, but similar things happen every day

I still would not be feeling particulary safe if the cook has knocked out the skipper and then when they get a new skipper they run the boat aground. I would happier not going no that particular trip.

Wow! What a mess.

Sure does make for a "You will never believe what happened on MY vacation" story.

I like the picture of the 2 passengers in the news story. They do look very crabby at their lack of dives. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom