Fear of Jaws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txsamantha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Folks. First day on the site. Newbie to diving...

So I did my cert. dive and subsequent dives in a natural springs area where I quickly got over my fear of gators.

Now I'm going to Cabo San Lucas and will be doing a reef dive. I'm looking for tips to get over my fear of JAWS and to not have the Duh, Dum, Duh, Dum theme song playing in my head the whole time so I can enjoy it... My husband just tells me I'm being stupid, but it's a pretty serious fear for me. When Jaws came out my parents took me to see it and I was like 6 years old... I didn't swim again that summer even in the lake. lol

So any tips for conquering my fear??

Thanks...

-sam

Let me just add too, that I realize it's irrational and completely unlikely that I'll even see a shark, let alone be eaten by one. I'm just looking for tips to psche myself up for the dive without psyching myself into fear and panic mode, making me a danger to myself and my dive buddy (hubby).
Any advice is greatly appreciated...

i was in the same boat. I was TERRIFIED of deep water as a kid for the same reason. I didn't even like swimming in a pool at night because of the fear of being munched by a shark. I thought it was really going to cause me issues with my OW course, but as soon as i hit the water, all was calm and serene. it did cross my mind a few times over my certification dives (i was diving walls in fiji) but it never caused me any real panic. by the end of the course i just wanted to see one! (in fact, on my first post-OW dive, I petted a grey nurse shark)

I know that's not really helpful advise, but that's my experience. give it a try and if you're still really freaked out, thumb the dive. Just dont stare out into the blue expecting to see a great white come cruising into view, look at the little critters around you. take your time, and you'll likely forget to be scared crapless!

enjoy your dives.

Sharks usually stay kinda away (because of goofy sounding regulators not sounding like their prey) and if you dont harrass them are usually fine. there was a thread on it before, i heard sharks dont eat people because of nutritional reasons before that, and reinvestigated and people dont have high enough fat content and are pretty solid bone so not good source for energy and kinda a PITA for them to eat and digest us. But there is also a device called a shark guard or something similar that emits either a sound or frequency that spooks them away. Just stay calm and casually get away, panic will draw their attention to you more and make them want to investigate which may cause them to bump you or possibly bite. Some people on that thread also suggested going vertical if a shark is near by to help distinguish you from a fish. Also if your not spearfishing you have less worries because you dont have a fish blood smell going through the water and sharks first desired prey is a wounded fish so it is less work for them to catch.

Okay... All good advice... Cav's you're easing my mind a little. I freaked out snorkling last year in florida cause there was nothing to look at but blue and sand and then the soundtrack started playing in my head and I bolted.

I'm hoping it all just goes smoothe and I wont even see a shark.
imwright, I'm totally not going anywhere near spearfishing... Do NOT want to make myself a lure for a shark and then get in his way at din din time...

Other ways to avoid? I've heard mid day is a good time to avoid them that they feed at sunrise and sunset mostly?

Chances are good I wont see one right? What are the odds really? Anyone know? For a reef dive in los cabos last week in august, first week in sept.?
I'm going to have to check like migration patterns or something. lol Am I just doing the opposite of what I posted this for? Am I getting myself pscyed up for fear and panic? geez... somebody tranquilize me. lol

hi before I became a diver I had concerns about sharks. After learning about sharks and becoming a diver I love sharks. I even did some shark dives and was surrounded by sharks and not a bit worried. It was a very cool thing to do. Sharks and not interested in us as long as you are not trying to feed them. Good luck and enjoy.
PS if you look at my picture by my name,that is my wife and I with the sharks

Chances are good I wont see one right? What are the odds really? Anyone know? For a reef dive in los cabos last week in august, first week in sept.?
I'm going to have to check like migration patterns or something. lol Am I just doing the opposite of what I posted this for? Am I getting myself pscyed up for fear and panic? geez... somebody tranquilize me. lol

I have been diving for just over 5 years and have over a thousand dives, During that time I have NEVER seen a shark until I paid to go to see them!

So that being said if you are LUCKY enough to see one feel Very Blessed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom