Fear of Jaws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do they make underwater iPods so I can have that pleasant music playing in my head and not the Jaws theme music? lol Seriously tho, that was lovely.
Thos pics are INSANE!! Wow... That seriously makes me feel a lot better... Seriously.
THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Those pics aren't photo-shopped are they? lol They look unreal. Please tell me they're not.

The pics were taken with a Nikon D300 using a Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye Nikkor lens. This lens leads to some distortion around the edges (which was not corrected) and can make the pics look a little odd. As far as Photoshop goes, the original pics were taken at a depth of 70 feet and have a substantial blue tint. Photoshop was used to correct the RGB color balance (essentially copy green pixels into the red spectrum and balance the colors). The reef was about 2.5 miles offshore and the visibility was over 100 feet, which makes it look like the sharks are suspended in air.

Do they make underwater iPods so I can have that pleasant music playing in my head and not the Jaws theme music? lol Seriously tho, that was lovely.
Thos pics are INSANE!! Wow... That seriously makes me feel a lot better... Seriously.
THANK YOU ALL!!!!

131259_big.jpg

iDive Underwater Apple iPod MP3 Housing
By: H2O Audio
$348.95

Hi Folks. First day on the site. Newbie to diving...

So I did my cert. dive and subsequent dives in a natural springs area where I quickly got over my fear of gators.

Now I'm going to Cabo San Lucas and will be doing a reef dive. I'm looking for tips to get over my fear of JAWS and to not have the Duh, Dum, Duh, Dum theme song playing in my head the whole time so I can enjoy it... My husband just tells me I'm being stupid, but it's a pretty serious fear for me. When Jaws came out my parents took me to see it and I was like 6 years old... I didn't swim again that summer even in the lake. lol

So any tips for conquering my fear??

Thanks...

-sam

You parents deserve the "Parents of the Year" award for taking you to watch that movie at such a young age. Of course, that doesn't help you now, except that, should you have your own kids, not to make the same mistake yourself. I'd say, just dive, and you'll find the music will gradually fade from your mind while diving and gaining more experience and with increasing comfort level.

ha ha. I know, right? I think they just couldn't afford a babysitter and were desperate to get out to a movie. It was a drive in and they told me to stay on the floor in the backseat in my pile of blankets and pillows and NOT WATCH!! I think that was probably worse!! Sitting back there and hearing just the music and then the muffled screams!!! I'd look over the edge of the seat just in time to see all the blood in the water... wt...?
Yeah, well it was the 70's... lol

Sam, I stopped diving for several years after seeing Jaws. At the time I was involved as a staff member on a Jean-Michel Cousteau program, but wouldn't dive. A few years later, Jean-Michel saw me suiting up and asked what got me back in the water. I told him I'd recently seen "Jaws II." Maybe that would cure you, too... if not, try watching the rest of the "series." It's laughable.

I've been diving nearly 50 years, 40 of those in waters frequented by great white sharks. In all that time I've only "knowingly" had one great white pass within eyesight of me... and according to my dive buddy (Wyland the great marine artist), it had no interest in either of us and just kept going.

I shared your fear of sharks, but after thousands of dives in waters where they are seen, I have to say the fear is very much over blown. I rarely worry about them these days.

If you are diving in clear water, the shark can see what you are. Most species don't find steel or aluminum particularly tasty. Enjoy your dives!

Back
Top Bottom