Fear of Jaws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dr.Bill! I think Jaws 3 was actually the cheesiest of all. lol
Well, I chickened out on the first dive. I felt totally out of control and the water was a little rough... visibility was not good... About an hour later though I calmed my nerves and try tried again... I was scared to death but worked through it. I think the more I dive the more I'll enjoy it. I HOPE!! :)
Oh and the theme song did play in my head twice and I freaked a little but managed to redirect myself. :eek:)

Txsamantha, you've gotten a lot of good advice on this thread and it would be a shame to let this fear keep you from diving. HOWEVER....sharks aren't predictable, friendly, or nice in any way. They're predators with a small brain and you should treat all you see with respect and caution. Don't go trying to rub their bellies and make friends with them.

I spearfish free diving and my buddies and I see them pretty often. Most of the time they check us out and move on. But yesterday, there were these two small Caribbean Reef sharks that were really....really curious. We had just jumped in the water right on top of them and there were no wounded or bloody fish around. They were coming in close, pass after pass. I finally had enough and poked one with my spear tip just to chase him off....which worked but he came right back but was a bit more cautious. Finally the swam off and left us. Little five footers but they had attitude. Don't fear them...but respect them for what they are capable of.

Txsamantha, you've gotten a lot of good advice on this thread and it would be a shame to let this fear keep you from drinking. HOWEVER....guys in bars aren't predictable, friendly, or nice in any way. They're predators with a small brain and you should treat all you see with respect and caution. Don't go trying to rub their bellies and make friends with them.

Putting your fear into a different, above water perspective...

Thanks for the video Mike! As usual...you are truly awesome! LOL!

TXsamantha, I am so glad you had good dives! The more comfortable you are in your own skin, aka wetsuit, the more you will enjoy the wildlife around you! Hang in there!

BTW, sharks don't have as tiny a brain as one might think! They are very intelligent and just need to be respected in their space!

Good one Marine! :wink: LANDsharks do have very small brains, but are very predictable! ROFL! You can distract them by rubbing their bellies tho! :D

Carolyn:shark2:

Back
Top Bottom