fear of mask removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdkitten

New
Reaction score
Hi-I'm new to scuba and I've just done my second enclosed water dive on the PADI Open Water Diver Certificate. I really enjoyed the first dive but now I'm really apprehensive. I was comfortable with most stuff but I seem to have a big problem with mask removal under water. I tried it about 3 times but I kept breathing water up my nose and then choking. I then panicked and had to keep surfacing which wasted a lot of time. I feel like a failure and I'm just not sure what to do. I don't own my own equipment yet and so I can't practice until I go to my next class. I was wondering if it is a good idea to immediately breathe out through my nose when the mask is removed and then in through my regulator, again out through the nose etc. I think I may have been breathing in and out through the regulator.Please could Anyone give me any tips on how to do this as I really enjoy scuba and I don't want to let this put me off. Thanks

Stick with it, you'll get the hang of it. Do you have a snorkel? If so you could practice this by submerging your face in water without a mask and breathing through the snorkel. Just concentrate and keep reminding yourself not to breath through your nose... only breath through your mouth. You shouldn't exhale through your nose either unless you need to equalize your mask otherwise that will fog your mask up. Good Luck!

I had the same problem when I first started. I sat at the bottom of the shallow end of the pool and practiced. I did the breath thru the reg out thru the nose and it works. Don't worry you'll get the hang of it.

...it is REALLY common. Get in the tub or pool with your scuba gear (if you can) or a snorkel and work on it until you get comfortable.

Here's what I did...

O-ring once bubbled...
...it is REALLY common. Get in the tub or pool with your scuba gear (if you can) or a snorkel and work on it until you get comfortable.

Here's what I did...

Hmmmm.... is that DIR? :)

Funny thing is that I have always been able to clear and remove my mask when snorkeling, but when I did it for the first time with the scuba equip, I sucked some water up my nose... I forced myself to stay under and just hacked and coughed through my regulator until I calmed back down. It took me a couple times until I got the hang of it, in fact I probably do exhale a little out of my nose to compensate now that I think of it. If it works for you, do it. Eveyone is a little different....

Good luck and dont give up!
:snorkel:

Hmmmm.... is that DIR?

Although, I think chapter 3 (or is it 4?) in JJ's book covers practicing mask skills in the bathroom with a snorkel.

Hi JDkitten,
Any BSAC clubs near you?
If you want proper basic dive training, join a club and learn the basic skills for a sport diver in a pool under instruction. The pool training alone will take longer than your Padi O/W course, but it is a higher standard.

I had spent lots of time in my youth snorkeling. I distinctly remember trying to breath through a snorkel without a mask. I was immediatly convinced it was not possible. 35 years later in scuba cert I was pretty sure they were crazy but gave it a shot. Concentrate on mouth breathing. Ackward at first but soon it bacame fairly natural. Bathtub with the snorkel is a great idea. Practice will make it easy. If you have to start out by holding your nose to get the feel of mouthbreathing, do it.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. It's made me feel a lot better and I'm looking forward to my next dive. I'll try practicing in the bath with a snorkel-jd

Back
Top Bottom