fear of mask removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hang in there :)

I experienced the same as you. The first thing I did was practiced breathing through my mouth and not my nose, without plugging above water. Then gradually worked myself into using the snorkel just at the surface. Then to the reg submerging myself into the water without my mask, breathing all the while through the reg til my head was completely submerged. And then finally put my mask on and did the mask removal.. First partially lifting it up and then the full removal first with eyes closed and then open. It almost seemed like if I had my eyes open I had trouble, but with them closed I did much better. Sounds like a long process and not for everyone, but it was a way that I finally got control of the situation and didn't get myself worked up over it or end up choking and shooting to the surface.

Good luck with your practicing :)

You are kidding me right? That's a pure O2 mix for those really tough toilet jobs. Helps keep your mind focused on what you have to do. :D

Just a full face mask rig and EANx32 so you don't have to smell what is cookin' below...

Kinda brings a new meaning to "off gassing"

I use the same shaving cream. That Gilette stuff works great doesn't it?

Yeah, don't you love it? I was using EDGE for a while, but that Gilette stuff blows it away...

you get after diving. That sucker's got to put a lump on the back of your head the size of a golf ball. I'm going to have to download that pic for the next time someone asks about a DIN to yoke adapter.

O-ring once bubbled...
...it is REALLY common. Get in the tub or pool with your scuba gear (if you can) or a snorkel and work on it until you get comfortable.

Here's what I did...

OUCH

I'm going to have to download that pic for the next time someone asks about a DIN to yoke adapter.

Funny you should mention it...that's the reason I posted that sucker the first time around. Yes, that is an Apeks DS4 with the DIN to Yoke adapter on a yoke AL80. It sticks out hella far and I never dive yoke tanks unless I have to for that reason...

That and all my stuff is DIN anyway :D

..my preferred pre-dive shaving cream to prevent mask leakage and therefore maximing my scuba enjoyment.

Gilette...What divers prefer to shave with!

Don't go down without it! :eek:

Jdkitten-
I think a lot of people have the same problem when they first start diving. I did also. I thought I wouldn't be able to dive because I could not take the mask off underwater. We did it over and over again in the pool and I thought I was going to die. I always got water in my nose. I would cough and cough in the regulator. Finally we were at the lake doing our skills and the time came for the mask removal and my instructor pointed to me and I shook my head no way! He went through all the people in the class and came back to me. I knew I had to go through with it so I took three deep breaths and counted to three in my head and took it off real quick and put it back on real quick and then cleared my mask. My instructor was so proud of me. He high fived me and that was that. It was over with and I passed the class.
It's just something you have to do and hopefully will never have to do again. Thankfully my mask has never came off underwater, but if it did I believe I could get it back on just fine.
Good Luck!!!!
Amber

Question for those that had problems....Do you or did you have problems opening your eyes underwater??

I get the impression that most people who have trouble removing their mask find it very difficult to swim underwater with their eyes wide open.

As a kid, I would always swim with my eyes open underwater. Mask removal during OW was a breeze. Never thaught twice about removing the mask.

--MichaelG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom