Fear of sharks (don't hate me!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lozadora

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm about to take to the open water to complete my PADI course and there is something that is troubling me. I've tried to get over it but there's still a small part of me that knows if/when I see a shark, I will be scared. I understand what you're meant to do in response to the behaviour sharks may exhibit (if they're just curious or if they feel threatened by you) but I wanted to get some people's thoughts:
- Do you have a fear of sharks?
- Did you have a fear of sharks and what did you do to overcome that fear?
- Some stories on your shark encounters

So far I have just been reading some helpful forum posts here and articles about different shark breeds and diver experiences...and no matter how many people tell me it is an irrational fear, I just imagine what would happen if I was swimming somewhere where a shark suddenly took an interest in me!

Do yourself a favor. Contact Cristina Zenato at UNEXSO in Grand Bahama (Google her). She is a shark guru and worth taking the effort to contact. Tell her I gave you her name.

Personally, every encounter I have had in many, many years of diving has been awesome. Wonderful creatures and a privilege to watch and be around. They seem to love rebreathers... no bubbles... which makes them curious apparently.

GOOD LUCK. And really, contact Cristina.

Thank up very much. This is certainly what I keep hearing so I think it's a case of understanding them, respecting them and having some good experiences.

Whatever you do, don't just dive in water that may have sharks, and then find out what you will do when it happens.

I love seeing sharks. Went to Galapegos and saw schools of them, hammerheads, Galapegos, just all sorts. It was awesome! Not frightening at all.

I love seeing sharks. Went to Galapegos and saw schools of them, hammerheads, Galapegos, just all sorts. It was awesome! Not frightening at all.

I can't even describe what happens to me when I see a shark. It is absolutely mesmerizing.

After diving for many years and never seeing a shark, I signed up for a "shark encounter" educational course in Grand Cayman (no longer offered IIRC) so I could actually see one. In the classroom we were taught that sharks are curious, but they are also wary and divers are so noisy in the water that they generally avoid scuba divers. The encounter course was great and we were able to see dozens of sharks come to the bait, but it was only after we planted the bait, then left the area for a while. Upon our return the sharks had discovered the bait, not been distracted by a bunch of noisy divers, and chose to stay after our return.

So, if you are afraid or at least wary of something that is larger than you and could eat you, CONGRATULATIONS, you are not insane. But if you educate yourself about creatures considered dangerous to man, you will learn they are not out there looking for us, nor do they particularly desire an encounter with us.

Enjoy your dives.

I rarely see sharks in the water, plenty found in the local fish markets though here in this region :(

My last shark encounters were in Sipadan last year, fantastic experience.

Dive in fresh water and get comfortable using scuba. One step at a time......

lozodora, I think all divers at one time at some level had some fear of a shark encounter. I did, while at the same time hoping I would see a shark.. When I did and have, it was fascinating, not scary. I can almost guarantee you will never had a bad encounter with a shark if you do the following:
1. never feed sharks or dive with those who do
2. when you see a shark, do not chase it. Remain still and enjoy the encounter
3. do not dive where great white sharks are know to live
4. do not spear fish when diving or dive with those who are
5. learn about different species of shark, by reading and talking to those in the know (as suggested above) They are fascinating creatures

Sharks come in all shapes and sizes, and seeing them in their natural environment acting naturally is really a privilege, in fact, a rare privilege. I am sure when it happens, you will enjoy it.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom