Febrina Liveaboard PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

Just signed up for 10 days on the Febrina in May, 2004. Haven't seen anything recent on the board as to the Febrina experience. Anyone have any experiences to report?

Thanks much,

Just got back from Walindi where you will probably sail from the owner also owns Febrina. The DM's are the best I have ever seen Take it from me you will have a great time. See my quick report on Walindi cdiver2.
Enjoy
David

I spent 10 days on the Febrina in May of 2000 and it was the best diving I have ever done (California, Hawaii, Cozumell, The Galapagos, Palau.) The crew is really friendly, Alan is hoot, and Andrew and Matty really know their stuff. You will have a great time.

-Mark

OMG!! You will love the Captain and crew. I've spent much great time on that boat. Alan is a true character who will see you get the best diving ever. I'm on their schedule for 18 days in late May/June. The crew will be on the Star Dancer then. The FeBrina has been booked fully and they must have their own Captain as Alan will be with us.
Say Hi to "Digger" (Andrew) the best divemaster!!
Allison

Hi Allison et al,

As it happens, I found out last week that I, too, will be on the Star Dancer with Capt. Alan and the 10-day itenerary, in mid May, now runs from Kavieng to Walindi, a very positive change in my opinion, since this is the itenerary I've dreamed of since reading a Scuba Diving article back in 1999. From what I've read, the Star Dancer seems to offer more luxurious accomodations as well. I'll be in Cabin 2. Any feedback on the Star Dancer?
Don't think I've heard one discouraging word about Capt Alan, his crew or the diving in Kavieng, Witu, Fathers, and Kimbe. I'm champing at the bit! By the way, I've been informally polling PNG visitors as to their choice of Malaria prophylaxis. Have done some interesting/disturbing reading on side effects of some of the more popular medicines.
Thanks for your replies.

Allison Finch:
OMG!! You will love the Captain and crew. I've spent much great time on that boat. Alan is a true character who will see you get the best diving ever. I'm on their schedule for 18 days in late May/June. The crew will be on the Star Dancer then. The FeBrina has been booked fully and they must have their own Captain as Alan will be with us.
Say Hi to "Digger" (Andrew) the best divemaster!!
Allison

Doxycycline is what they request you use. Larium and most others have side effects that can mimic DCS. As a result, they won't like you to use them. The only problem with Doxy is that it makes you a little photosensitive and has to be taken every day. I have used several different anti-malarials over the years and have experienced some of those side effects. I have had the fewest problems with Doxy.

All of my time has been on the FeBrina so that the Star Dancer is new to me too. It sounds like you will be on the trip just before me. I come aboard the end of May through June.
HAVE FUN!!! Bye the way, tell Alan he'd better be on board this time. Last year he captained the Star Dancer while I was on the FeBrina. Mattie was a great captain, though. No complaints.

peterjmaerz:
Hi Allison et al,

As it happens, I found out last week that I, too, will be on the Star Dancer with Capt. Alan and the 10-day itenerary, in mid May, now runs from Kavieng to Walindi, a very positive change in my opinion, since this is the itenerary I've dreamed of since reading a Scuba Diving article back in 1999. From what I've read, the Star Dancer seems to offer more luxurious accomodations as well. I'll be in Cabin 2. Any feedback on the Star Dancer?
Don't think I've heard one discouraging word about Capt Alan, his crew or the diving in Kavieng, Witu, Fathers, and Kimbe. I'm champing at the bit! By the way, I've been informally polling PNG visitors as to their choice of Malaria prophylaxis. Have done some interesting/disturbing reading on side effects of some of the more popular medicines.
Thanks for your replies.

We used Malaron it is the newest one on the market. There were no side effects for my wife and I and I did-not try to stay out of the sun.
The only draw back was it is not a one a week drug as some of them are.
Its one a day, start two days before you go to PNG then one a day while you are there and continue for a week after you leave. Insurance covered Malaron.
David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom