Feedback on Sherwood's most current versions of the Magnum and Brut Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'd like to hear feedback on the most current versions of Sherwood's Magnum Pro and the Brut Pro in terms of performance (recreational diving), reliability and ease of service.

I am helping a friend to determine what would be best for his dive school's training/rental regulator fleet. I am very familiar with Sherwood older versions of regulators but not these current versions with "Balanced" first and second stages. We are considering other brands but I came across these new versions and noticed that they are balanced in the first AND second stages and thought that they maybe a good choice for a dive school's training/rental regulator fleet.

I'd appreciate feedback on these two models especially any information related to their performance, reliability and ease of service.

Well, I can give you some info and feedback, but I haven't actually dived one yet.
Sherwood only makes two 1st stages, the SR2, and the 9000 used on everything else. There is nothing dramatically different or difficult to service on the 9000 1st stage, just one tool that may not already be on someone's bench - the Pressure Test Tool.
Nothing overly complex on the 2nd stage either, although since it is balanced now it is not as stripped down simple as most older versions. May need one or two tools added to the workbench.
These two are very nearly identical regulators, except that the Magnum Pro has a Venturi switch and should be tuned to a slightly lower cracking pressure, while the Brut Pro does not have a Venturi.

One other important note: the Sherwood product sold in EU is stamped EN250A on the Brut Pro, while the Magnum Pro is EN250A >10°C. So the Brut Pro is cold water ready! (not as freeze resistant as the Blizzard for extreme cold of course). They tell me they will "soon" be stamping the US product the same, and communicating that cold water info rather than keeping it such a secret. Maximus and Oasis are also CW rated.

What kind of environment is your friend setting up business in? That can make quite a difference on what is the best decision.

What kind of environment is your friend setting up business in? That can make quite a difference on what is the best decision.

Here in Libya, Mediterranean south coast. Cold water rating isn't critical. The coldest water temperature here is 16C/60F.

I am presuming that their respective performance, the Magnum and the Brut, will be much better than their older generations, correct? I know that the older generation were very easy to service (unbalanced).

I don't have performance specs for older models to compare. Totally different 2nd stage valve, a lot more parts now that it is balanced. But not much different from other balanced 2nd stages I work on, so no big deal there.

Addendum: Unless you have never worked on a balanced 2nd stage.

Are you referring to the IP gauge or something different please?
Something different. The Sherwood supplied tool is not quite the same as this one, but you get the idea. Don’t know if these are interchangeable or not, I got mine from Sherwood.
Genesis Pressure Test Tool

Something different. The Sherwood supplied tool is not quite the same as this one, but you get the idea. Don’t know if these are interchangeable or not, I got mine from Sherwood.
Genesis Pressure Test Tool

Thank you.

Do Sherwood regulators still have the "dry bleed" system and bubble during the dive as the previous versions?

Nope. Looks like I have two other “specialized” tools for the 9000 series first stage, but not as unique as that pressure test tool.

Thank you SO MUCH for you kind expert help and your patience in answering my questions.

I now have the Magnum pro at the top of my list. I just want to know how much it would cost to be able to have all information I need to compare them with offerings from SP, Atomic and a couple of other manufacturers. The fact that they are balanced at the first and second stage in addition to being environmentally sealed is a huge plus. I just need to confirm their performance underwater within recreational diving range (down to 40m/130ft).

Not sure what specific performance you are trying to confirm, but once you have verified the EU markings, here is some content from the Magnum Pro owners manual explaining EN250:2014:

EN250:2014 is the standard describing certain minimum performance requirements for SCUBA regulators sold in the EU. EN250:2014 testing is performed with air to a maximum depth of 165 FSW I 50 MSW. Testing identifies regulators that should not be used in water colder than 50°F I 10°C, these regulators are marked “> 10°C”.
Scuba configured for use by more than one diver at the same time, an auxiliary breathing system, shall not be used deeper than 30 meters and in water temperatures colder than 4°C if marked “EN250A” and less than 10°C if marked with “EN250A >10°C”

So in brief, they are approved to 50m, >10C. They left out cylinder pressure from the explanation, I think it is 50 bar. Also left out flow rate - I don’t remember that one, but it is not insignificant.

The other note to point out is that the basic EU stance is ALL dives below 30m should have redundant air source, rather than an Octo, so they are not testing for that. I think you get into Navy testing at that point, which is rare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom