Fenwick Shoals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I will be diving Fenwick Shoals on 8/20. I'm just curious what the latest conditions have been (temp, vis, current, critters). I have not dove the coast in a while so I am pretty excited. Any update would be great. Thanks

espantoon:
Hello,
I will be diving Fenwick Shoals on 8/20. I'm just curious what the latest conditions have been (temp, vis, current, critters). I have not dove the coast in a while so I am pretty excited. Any update would be great. Thanks

Temp will be warm - It was in the low 70s last weekend - no gloves/no hood - current and surge will probably be significant - over this summer the vis has ranged from 5 to 30 feet - take your pick:) - as far as critters, we have seen tons of "grey fish of the Atlantic" plus big sea bass, sea robbins, flounder, trigger fish, horse shoe crab, etc. Last Saturday one of my friends saw two stargazers and the trip before that he swam with a sea turtle - YMMV.

Jackie

Thanks for the info, I will post back after my trip.

Fenwick Report-

Just posting back about my trip to Fenwick Shoals. The weather and seas were perfect! When we arrived at the Outer Fenwick, we had a little trouble hooking up due to another boat that was hooked up directly over top of the wreck. Once we were in the water, a pretty strong current was present that required us to lay out a line just to keep everyone together before we went down (three of the divers were on their first ocean dive). Vis was about 15 ft, and we used wreck lines along the wreck to keep people oriented. Once we were on the wreck, the current was not so bad but a strong surge was pushing everyone around (we just went with it). The wreck was covered in an interesting yellow hard coral.
Critters: a couple of flounder were spotted, not real big though. Lots of sea robins, both swimming along and on the bottom. We did see a school of spadefish go by. The best suprise I had was a large goosefish (monkfish) that decided to settle down in the sand right next to me, and disappear in the sand in a matter of seconds! I had no idea that a fish that large could bury itself so fast.
Because of the surge and current, we decided to dive the HOOPER wreck a short distance away for our second tank. The vis was better, at least 20ft and the wreck was covered in white coral and some anenomes.
Critters: We saw a few more flounder, and TONS of hermit crabs. While exploring the cracks and crevices of the wreck (it is very over grown with sea life), I found a big lobster hidden way back in a crevice (he was to far back to get). The biggest suprise on this dive were to large conger eels sticking their heads out of holes as we went by.
It was a great day, despite the surge and current. We were even treated to a pod of dolphins on our way back to Indian River. Cant wait to explore other Maryland/Delaware wrecks in the future!

Back
Top Bottom