Ferries from PDC only running every 2 hours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ill bet that the new ferry company Xcaret fills the morning void and does an earlier ferry. Watch both Ultramar and Waterjet change their schedule to go head to head. This happened before with Barcos Caribbe before...
I was surprised that Barcos Caribe avoided an accident for as long as they did, in spite of the ownership.
Yes, I know that it wasn't an accident in a traditional scenario, but wasn't it just a matter of time?:oops:

Ok, I'm just learning I am arriving the evening of the Carnival parade. :facepalm: Isn't that supposed to be in February?

So am I gonna have a problem getting a ferry that evening, after a 4pm flight arrival which I'm guessing would put me on track for a 7pm or 8pm ferry? Hopefully all the revelers will already be on the island at that point...

Ok, I'm just learning I am arriving the evening of the Carnival parade. :facepalm: Isn't that supposed to be in February?

So am I gonna have a problem getting a ferry that evening, after a 4pm flight arrival which I'm guessing would put me on track for a 7pm or 8pm ferry? Hopefully all the revelers will already be on the island at that point...
The parade was delayed because of covid. The island, because it is so dependent on tourism, took the covid precautions very seriously.

I think that the 7 pm ferry is the most likely. We've never been there for the parade, so I can't offer any help with logistics after you get off the ferry. They must keep the crosswalk across Melgar clear. Worst case scenario I suppose would be walking to the taxi depot on 2nd between 5th and 10th.

Delayed due to covid. We were supposed to arrive on parade night once a few years ago. We were told you just had to walk a block or two east and get a taxi on 5th. We chickened out and chose to just stay in Playa that night and ferry over first thing in the morning. We barely made our dive boat - arrived, handed over our luggage to store, grabbed our gear already in a mesh bag, and stepped on the boat 5 minutes later. We had been communicating on whatsapp so they were ready and expecting us.

When we were there in late April - early May they were just finishing the big temporary music venue for Carnaval next to the Palacio Municipale, and for most of our stay northbound Melgar was blocked off at that point. It wasn't too bad, but we didn't know anything about the rescheduled Carnaval before we got there. I grew up in Louisiana, so I am well aware of Mardi Gras/Carnaval. If it is happening where you are you have the choice of participating in it or trying to get away from it, which might be easier said than done.

Personally, I have no desire to be on Cozumel during Carnaval. If I had scheduled a vacation there only to find that Carnaval had landed on my time there, I would probably reschedule my trip. YMMV.

Ill bet that the new ferry company Xcaret fills the morning void and does an earlier ferry. Watch both Ultramar and Waterjet change their schedule to go head to head. This happened before with Barcos Caribbe before...
It doesn't appear that there will be any actual competition on the Cozumel to Playa pier route anytime soon. This pretty much confirms that the planned Xcaret ferry is only intended to go directly to Xcaret and Xelha theme parks and not as a transportation link to the actual city of Playa pier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom