Ferry across to Cozumel & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VortexTed

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm planning my family vacation and we are trying to decide weather to do our vacation rental for 1 week in Playa Del Carmen and one week in Cozumel, or both weeks in playa del carmen.

Here's the situation, I'm the only diver, although my step son will come with me sometimes to snorkel and maybe discover scuba. So I'm thinking about taking the ferry across to Cozumel at least for 5 days of diving. How much of a hassle is it going on the ferry then finding a dive operator at the ferry docks?

Any suggestions?

Were thinking of maybe renting a small house on Coz for a week but we have a small dog with us so the renting is not so easy on Cozumel as it is on the mainland.

I've been to Cozumel before and stayed at the Park Royal but really didn't venture out on the island much other then to downtown.

Thanks for any suggestions.

We did this exact thing in 2009. We stayed the first week in June just north of Playa (Grand Mayan) and then we traveled to Cozumel for our second week (El Cid). Two divers, two non-divers. There were plenty to keep everyone busy in both location. During our dive days, the rest of the family read books, relaxed, and just hung out by the pool. Dinner after we returned from diving, sleep and then repeat.

The only complaint was that it was just a little hot and this was due to humidity.

We had fun and I think we will be doing this again next year 2011. :crafty:

Depends on your tastes... Both before and after I became a diver, we faced the same dilemma. Playa and Coz are very different -- with different atmospheres and attractions -- and we didn't know how to play it. (My husband was the diver, BTW.) So, we experimented -- two weeks in Playa, one week in each location, two weeks in Cozumel. Based on my experience alone, I'd recommend splitting the trip by staying in Playa first (high energy) and then in Coz (laid back.) Two weeks in Playa is too much for us! On the other hand, two weeks in Coz was barely enough to get a good fix!

Taking the ferry over to dive can be an ordeal but it does work. It's much better to enjoy whatever is available at in the place you're staying. Playa is a great hub for the varied attractions in the Riviera Maya -- rent a car & see them. You can and should do an OW dive there. Take the family to Hidden Worlds Cenote Park where they can snorkel and skycycle while you dive Dos Ojos or Dreamgate cenote. See some ruins, Actun Chen dry cave, Xel Ha, etc.

Then come over to Coz and get your ocean diving in while they relax at Playa Palancar and snorkel Palancar, etc. Don't count on snorkeling from a dive boat, because that's a problem -- the boat needs to stay with the divers in case of a problem. There's also good shore snorkeling here.

As far as your dog, there are some pet-friendly hotels, condos and apartments. I think Villablanca allows dogs. Why not shoot an email to the Cozumel Humane Society & see what they know Home?

Just don't buy round-trip ferry tickets a there would be a 50% chance that your return would be delayed while you wait on yours to board later, watching in frustration as the other one goes...!

Otherwise, you can set up your dive op in advance - not just taking whomever you find on the dock.

Hello Ddeborahdelamar,
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I've stayed in Playa DC before and we love it there! But I was not thrilled with the diving on that side other then the Dos Ojos cenote was really cool and I want to do it again. I'm also curious about the diving around Isla Mujeras, is it worth a day trip to go dive and have my family hang out on the island?

Thanks

If you're coming during whale shark season, I'd recommend highly that your family go to Isla Mujeres for an overnight to see them. If not, it's a long day trip for a little diving. There are better dives on the Costa Maya and better day trips -- Chichen Itza and Valladolid, or Ek Balam or even Sunday in Merida or south to Bacalar & Xcalak as an overnight stay -- that everyone would get a lot more from than hauling to yet another beach, no matter how good that beach is.

Dos Ojos is a great one to dive, but try others too! You'll be amazed!

Here's the situation, I'm the only diver, although my step son will come with me sometimes to snorkel and maybe discover scuba. So I'm thinking about taking the ferry across to Cozumel at least for 5 days of diving. How much of a hassle is it going on the ferry then finding a dive operator at the ferry docks?.

Don't forget to factor into your decision making the 140 pesos (I might be off by a few $) each way for the ferry. If you do 5 days of diving and others come with you a few times it will start to add up.

Don't forget to factor into your decision making the 140 pesos (I might be off by a few $) each way for the ferry. If you do 5 days of diving and others come with you a few times it will start to add up.
$11.13 USD each way? $111.30?

Cab each way to Op? $50?

PDC cabs?

Dock porter if you can't carry it all?

Last edited:
Ferry fare, each way is 140 pesos per adult & 85 pesos per child. I don't know the age cutoff for "child" or what exchange rate for USD that the ferry companies use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom