Ferry across to Cozumel & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

small additional note: buy one way tickets, because it's the same price, but there are 2 organizations doing the ferry and when you return you can select the one which is earlier.
I liked staying in playa more than cozumel but that's a personal thing.
You can arrange all your dives for cozumel in playa. I have positive experiences with divingplayadelcarmen.com. they check your credentials and you book your dives there. you take the ferry in the morning, a taxi to the dive-boat location and the taxi is paid by the operator. This is much easier than trying to find an operator in cozumel itself.

Hello everyone,
I'm planning my family vacation and we are trying to decide weather to do our vacation rental for 1 week in Playa Del Carmen and one week in Cozumel, or both weeks in playa del carmen.

Here's the situation, I'm the only diver, although my step son will come with me sometimes to snorkel and maybe discover scuba. So I'm thinking about taking the ferry across to Cozumel at least for 5 days of diving. How much of a hassle is it going on the ferry then finding a dive operator at the ferry docks?

Any suggestions?

Were thinking of maybe renting a small house on Coz for a week but we have a small dog with us so the renting is not so easy on Cozumel as it is on the mainland.

I've been to Cozumel before and stayed at the Park Royal but really didn't venture out on the island much other then to downtown.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi
its a good idea to stay a week in playa and than one week in Cozumel.
You can easely book your diving and snorkeling via online.
I recomend Deep Blue Cozumel Diving: Deep Blue Cozumel for diving and snorkeling the shop can help you also with Hotels , Houses and more.

You can book a small and cheap house where dogs are allowed, just send me an email with one of the websites under knees.

If your wife likes photgraphy we doing the Cozumel Phototour more information here:
COZUMEL PHOTO TOUR < walks, talks & short courses recomended by tripadviser.

if you are a footlover you will get good information about breakfast, lunch and dinner here: cozumel restaurant guide

sorry i can not post website links in the moment but you will find them very easy if you go to google and search them.
i wish you a nice Vacation in Mexico
cmex

I'm imagining breakfasts for footlovers...sorry.

Are you really thinking of hopping the ferry every morning and trying to make dive arrangements on the fly, with whatever dive guys (or timeshare guys) are hanging around the pier? I agree with those who advise planning ahead. Though plenty of good dive operators have storefronts near the main plaza, and it's probably possible to walk up and at least get onto an afternoon boat, wouldn't it be nice to know who has space ahead of time, and what kind of operation you're dealing with?

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few operators working out of Playa that do Cozumel-side dives. Whether or not that's the best option for you I don't know, but it's available. It looks like at least one operator sends their own boat over.

As to which side of the water you should stay on, I think there's potential for your nondiving family to wish they were back in PDC if you were to switch locales midway through your trip, as much as I love Cozumel. PDC is more lively and definitely beachier.

As to Isla Mujeres, we only dove it once but didn't think it was all that great. But if you can work out some whaleshark snorkeling, that could change the equation entirely. And that's something your entire family might like.

And I think there are quite a few places in Playa that

As to which side of the water you should stay on, I think there's potential for your nondiving family to wish they were back in PDC if you were to switch locales midway through your trip, as much as I love Cozumel. PDC is more lively and definitely beachier.

While Playa has the beaches and Avenida La Quinta, Cozumel has the snorkeling and uncrowded distractions. Bucano's/Club Cozumel Caribe, Playa Azul, Chankanaab, Money Bar, Playa Corona to name a few good spots. Playa Palancar & Punta Sur/Faro Celerain Eco Park are great places to spend time and those have beautiful natural beaches.

There's the Atlantis submarine, Discover Mexico, the mini golf, salsa lessons on Fridays & Sundays, fishing, parasailing, kiteboard lessons, intimate sailing on the Tucan or the Adelaide, and two very interesting trips are available via boat to discover the treasures of Punta Molas -- the northern point of the island. And Playa has nothing to compare to the eastern shore of Cozumel -- amazingly beautiful beaches there.

If it's raining, head to the museum or to a bar familiar for free eats or the bowling alley or take in a movie. Be sure to check out Sunday night on the Plaza.

Plenty here to occupy a week and more for non-divers.
:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

I lucked out and rented a beautiful house right on the beach for 1/2 their normal asking price so I wont be taking the ferry after all. Now all I need to do is find a good dive operator on Cozumel that uses big boats! Any suggestions? Thank You

Aqua Safari, Albatros Charters, & Dive with Cristina are three non-hotel affiliated ops that run big boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom