Ferry explosion in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is pretty close to what is seen in playa. right down to the white smoke
The photos that I have seen of the ferry showed that the explosion was at the passenger deck level. I would think that a generator would be below the waterline for stability reasons.

I also find the apparent blast origin to be inconsistent with an engine room explosion. Where are the pics of the engine room? It should be destroyed and blackened. Could there be exhaust or ventilation pipes running inside the side walls of ship and the weak point was where we saw the flash? The origin appears to be by the wall as no seats were blown out.
I agree, and the bulkheads don't appear thick enough or capable of supporting a stack.

And this remains a diesel-powered craft. Diesel fuels just don't explode like this. I am curious, c5diver, if you can explain the mechanics of that explosion?

The photos that I have seen of the ferry showed that the explosion was at the passenger deck level. I would think that a generator would be below the waterline for stability reasons.
Agreed. While the white smoke is present, the large fireball afterward isn't. The top passenger deck exhibits blast damage consistent with an explosion up there, and there just isn't that much damage on the middle deck from the picture.

The fact that the explosion appears to eminate from the top deck coupled with the timing of when passengers disembarking and no one remaining in the passenger cabin all seems a bit too much of a coincidence.

It just doesn’t pass my smell test.

Last edited:
An article by Por Esto throws water on the engine room explosion theories.
https://www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php?zona=qroo&idSeccion=5&idTitulo=627964

Translated excerpts (full translation on FB Cozumel 4 You page but that violates "fair use")
COZUMEL, February 22nd.-
...Information arising from federal sources indicate that after the review of investigating authorities to the engine room and motor generators that feed the Caribbean I with registration number 1M09570981, it was found that they were intact after the explosion, so much that they would not have any type of alteration...

...it is noted that inside the right metal side that was broken in the middle deck of the ship, do not run gas pipelines, because the ship does not use that chemical, except for the small amount of gas for air conditioning equipment However, researchers do not believe that this gas to cool was a cause of the explosion...

...on the passenger access deck, it was damaged only below where the ignition arose from the explosion, as if it were from top to bottom, leaving most of the bow of the entrance deck to people without visible damage. .
Everything indicates that the explosion had greater intensity just to the right side of the middle deck, and that the expansive wave released more energy to the left side of the ship...

Until now only Alicia Ricalde Magaña, director of the Apiqroo, went out to communicate the day of the events through an official bulletin in a somewhat risky way, that "the preliminary report indicates that it was a mechanical failure", when its capacity of action is limited to administrative faculties, in no way is it the authority to investigate or fix a version because it does not correspond to it.

...That is why it did not take long for the Caribbean Ship Company to respond on Wednesday with a statement, saying: "Preliminarily, we inform you that our machinery and equipment were working properly, so we still do not know the reason for this incident", and according to the sources, this company statement was because its engines were not damaged.

While probably not relevant to this case, almost anything can become explosive if it is vaporized, or in small particles, in an enclosed space. Flour is not very compustable in a bowl. But flour mills explode when the dust gets ignited.

Do they serve hot food on this ferry? That could get gas on an upper deck.

There does not seem to have been a lot of shrapnel. If you want to injure lots of folks you add projectiles to the bomb and time it for when the number on the boat is maximum. Neither appears to be the case here.

If this was a bomb, it was not intended to kill/injure a lot of people. More like a "demonstration."

After a lot of thought I vote for "sending a message". AS the ferries are landing most people leave the middle of the boat and start massing at the front and rear exits. It is most unlikely that there were many people near the middle of the boat and certainly not on the top deck which has no exits.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom