Few questions on diving Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tazman7

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My buddy and I have been kicking around the idea of heading out to dive the numerous shipwrecks in Lake Michigan around the Chicago and Milwaukee area. I have a 20 foot pontoon boat and an inboard ski boat. I have never been out on Lake Michigan on a boat but I know it can get pretty rough. We have been wondering if it it possible to take something like a pontoon out to dive the car ferry milwaukee??? I know it is three miles off of shore but that doesnt seem to bad.. we could only go out there on a day that it is somewhat calm. I just dont want to sink my boat and have to dive that someday :popcorn:

Thanks

You wouldn't ever catch me on a pontoon boat in lake michigan, especially not 3 miles out. Conditions change too fast, pontoon boat would get swamped pretty quickly IMO. There are quite a few charters in the area you mentioned, some of them pretty cheap too. I'd rather pay the $50-$100 than risk a pontoon boat.

We are always grateful for a new wreck to dive on.

We are always grateful for a new wreck to dive on.

Did he just say that out loud?! :rofl3::rofl3:

If you're interested in diving out of Chicago or Milwaukee, there are a number of great charters to choose from that are very affordable. Give them your business, as we all should, so that they can stay in business and continue to provide all of us with great diving opportunities.

Yeah just figured I would ask before attempting it..never experienced lake Michigan so wasnt quite sure how it would be only three miles out...my grandpa had a small boat that we took 20 miles out in Florida with no problems.. I mean it wasnt a super small boat but it handled it fine. A lot of people wouldnt take smaller boats on the Mississippi either, but they do. Just wasnt sure, as three miles doesnt seem far to me.

Dont mind going to dive shops but it would just be nice to do my own thing, on my own schedule, without paying tons of money to suck down two bottles of air each and take a 10 minute boat ride... It wouldnt be bad if it was just me but my fiance dives too so its not just $130 to go...its $260.. that gets quite expensive when you have all of your own equipment.

Yeah just figured I would ask before attempting it..never experienced lake Michigan so wasnt quite sure how it would be only three miles out...my grandpa had a small boat that we took 20 miles out in Florida with no problems.. I mean it wasnt a super small boat but it handled it fine. A lot of people wouldnt take smaller boats on the Mississippi either, but they do. Just wasnt sure, as three miles doesnt seem far to me.

Dont mind going to dive shops but it would just be nice to do my own thing, on my own schedule, without paying tons of money to suck down two bottles of air each and take a 10 minute boat ride... It wouldnt be bad if it was just me but my fiance dives too so its not just $130 to go...its $260.. that gets quite expensive when you have all of your own equipment.

You can find 2 or even 3 tank charters for as cheap as $85... I did a 3 tanker with Divers delight out of milwaukee for $100 and we did one dive on the car ferry and two on the willie. Their boat is super fast too. $33 a dive isn't too shabby. I understand what you're saying though, I'd love to have my own boat.

I guess just getting back from diving Dominica and St. Lucia and seeing a few people a couple miles out in a one man canoe fishing made me think if they can do it in that, I will be fine in a pontoon or ski boat.

In early September, I went on the lake with a few friends. We were in a 32' boat with 2 high powered outboards (I have no idea how much horsepower in the engines). As we left the marina, the lake was flat and weather was good. By the time we got to the dive site, the waves picked up to 6 footers and we had heavy rain fall. The boat handled well but I could not imagine being on the lake with that kind of turn around in conditions in a 20' pontoon boat.

The waves in Lake Michigan are different than the waves in the ocean. Its very much like being in a washing machine and you would be better off going on the lake with an experienced captain and on a bigger boat. Shop around and find a charter that is in your budget and dive the quarry's when you can't find a price you want to pay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom