FG Trip 3/27 & 28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I went back to the Flower Garden's with Bruce from TPWD. Our goal was to hopefully get some footage of the Hammerhead spawn.

The ride out was not too bad, with 2 - 4 foot seas. Saturday morning had nice seas as well and we did 2 dives on the western bank. No sharks, but we did spot a nice Manta Ray passing through the area. Saw some nice grouper as well.

After lunch, we moved over to a rig and tied up. Currents were a bear, and we had to pull our selves to the rig. Currents looked like they weren't too bad at depth, but Bruce stayed in the 40' area and my job was to stick with him. We spent most of the time clinging to cross members to keep from getting blown off the rig. Lots of fish, just none with the proper fin configuration. Getting the camera hooked back up for the boat to pull it aboard was a real struggle. The thing is about 2 feet long and 12" in diameter, so it really grabs the current.

We moved on over to the east bank for the remaining days diving. Currents were brutal. Bruce and I noticed that a down line with 40lbs of weight on the end was fluttering in the current. Knowing what a bear it is to handle his camera, we chose not to dive. We skipped the night dive as well.

Sunday we did 2 dives on Stetson bank. Nothing spectacular, although other divers reported seeing a black tip shark and a huge lobster. The front had passed over us and we had high seas on the way back. I think seas got up to 10' on the way back, so that aspect of the trip was my least favorite to say the least. Still, the Fling got everyone safely back to shore and the trip was called a success.

Many thanks to the captains and crew of the Fling. I'm sure we'll be out there again. Hopefully, this summer when the seas are flatter and the currents not so extreme.

MHO-- Looks like you guys should have been eqpt. with 'Jon Lines' for the up/down boat rope, and the time spent on the rig.....maybe you did and I missed that in your great trek recap. Standard gear IMO for ocean diving or were high currents are possible as in wreck diving, Great Lakes etc.. Sounded like a true adventure! :)

Mack, the hammerheads are all juvenile males. No spawning going on there.

i'm just curious, why do currents change so much through the seasons? the sea conditions are weather-controlled, but where does the variation in current come from ... sea temps?

There are two main driving forces that generate currents, but there are many more subtle sources, too. For the most part, surface currents are the result of prevailing wind patterns, so there is a definite correlation to climate and weather phenomenon. However, working with that are the vertical components of cooling water becoming more dense and therefore sinking below warmer water. This rise and fall interacts with the horizontal, wind-generated currents in a variety of ways. Add to that changes in salinity (more saline water falling, less saline rising), topography of the seafloor, the effects of land and its runoff, and many other factors, and things can get complicated in a hurry.

After all that...yes, you pretty much answered your own question. Sea (and land) temps have a profound effect on most of the currents we divers experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom