FIBR - Dec. 28-09 to Jan. 4-10 Trip Report + Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sft109

Registered
Reaction score
I had previously posted a thread on here about advice on going to Roatan for a last minute diving trip with my girlfriend in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/316824-going-fantasy-island-roatan-dec-28-jan-4-a.html Many thanks to all those that contributed. As mentioned we booked the trip just a few days before flying out on the 28th of December. We flew direct from Toronto with Sunwing, no problems although we got hit with extra luggage charge of course because of all the dive gear.

We did 6 days of diving including 1 night dive, 1 shore dive and 14 boat dives for a total of 16 dives. Everything was nice and smooth with the diving, no problems there. The operations is good, I was pleased with the divemasters we had who were Daren and Derry - both nice guys, helpful and pointed out the interesting things to us. We did a variety of sites (some more than once) including Mary's Place and the Prince Albert of course. I wanted to do Insedious Reef as I heard it was a good site but its also the furthest site and the captains and divemasters didn't seem keen to go out so far. Most of the dive sites on the South side were similar I thought with the exception of a few, no big pelagic fish (we knew this already) but healthy corals (the best I've seen in the Caribbean so far probably) and interesting critters (seahorses, nudibranch, etc.) and marine life (eels, octopus, squid, lobster, crabs, scorpionfish, etc.). The night dive was at Valley of the Kings and we enjoyed that a lot with multiple crabs, lobsters and octopus sightings. I would like to try the North side next time to get more variety however and get a chance to see big pelagic fish, rays, turtles, sharks, etc although we had seen all those before in Florida and the Turks and Caicos islands.

The resort itself was nice enough, we had no problems with the room and the food was decent enough (I've had worse in much higher star-rated hotels). Nothing to complain about except the sand flies - holy did we get eaten alive!! Water was very warm - I dove in a 2mm shorty and never once got cold or uncomfortable. Weather wasn't so great as we got quite a few cloudy days and rain but not a problem - we came from Canada after all!!

I'll keep it short so here are some of my favorite shots (using my p&s Lumix TZ5 with magic filter attached (which is good for shallow shooting but not so great for deep/low-light and more cloudy days), no flash/strobe used on any shots, ran through photoshop):

p408904539.jpg

p99148494.jpg

p438423288.jpg

p303232269.jpg

p439854571.jpg

p447136972.jpg

p399137405.jpg

p84051706.jpg

p444420091.jpg

p396396237.jpg

p446999605.jpg

p89257106.jpg

p479372656.jpg

p243565218.jpg

p16269050.jpg

p190529667.jpg

p6662117.jpg

p512569677.jpg

p58017361.jpg

Cheers!

Thanks for the trip report and for sharing these very nice photographs. Going to Cocoview in April and can hardly wait....

Very nice pics. Great colors.

Thanks for the trip report and for sharing these very nice photographs. Going to Cocoview in April and can hardly wait....

No problem. Cocoview looked really nice from FIBR. I'm sure you will enjoy your time.

Very nice pics. Great colors.

Thanks Don!

What sites were the Seahorse and black Nudi on?

Unfortunately I don't keep a detailed log but if youre really interested I might be able to narrow the sites down by checking out my log and figuring out when I shot the pick to give you an idea. I believe it was one of the sites that was more towards the southeastern side from FIBR.

sft109,
welcome to this board.
your photos are fantastic!
thanks for the show.

Glad you enjoyed them!

Cheers.

Glad you enjoyed them!

I sifted your linked images and saw all of your various galleries. Please consider posting that link maybe in your sig line?

I loved the "Island Information Booth"... typical Roatan!

Really nice shots! You have a very good eye.

I agree about the coral. I think it is the healthiest coral/sponges/seafans and most varieties of each that I have ever seen, too. Valley of Kings was my favorite dive for exactly that reason - every shape and size of coral, sponge, and such. It was a color explosion! I am sure there were tons of fish there too but I was just blown away by the reef itself. It makes me crazy when I get back on a boat anywhere in world and a diver or DM says they "didn't see anything special". (I heard a couple of people say that about this dive). Geez folks, look at the gorgeous, colorful reef itself sometime! Marvel in the non-swimming critters that are there. Look inside every sponge and see who lives there. Swim back away from the reef, out in the blue, and look back at it. What do you see? I saw one of the most beautiful reefs I have every seen - Lush and colorful, covered in Caribbean life!!!

okay, rant off.

I am glad you had a good time. :D

Back
Top Bottom