Fickle Cressi Big Eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I decided to get a second mask, and went for Big Eyes that I had been eyeballing for awhile. In my opinion the mask fits my face fine and it sure adds to the field of vision, I can now see my belt buckle even. Also, LDS stocked RX lenses which were essential feature. However, getting the strap adjusted is a pain in the butt. It has to be just right. One notch wrong and the mask leaks. Add a snorkel and the setting is off, change hood the setting is off, move the strap on the skull the setting is off – and the leaking starts.

I asked the only guy I know with the same mask, and he said that he has same problem – the strap has to be exactly right or the leaking starts. My previous mask wasn’t this fickle. No other masks I’ve tried have been this fickle. I’ve used a nylon strap, and I swapped that to my Big Eyes thinking it would be an improvement. My problems started all over again, and now I can’t even count notches mid-dive if something changes.

Have you had this problem with your Big Eyes? Should I start considering that I have an ill-fitting mask and look for something else? Maybe it’s not the strap but so borderline-fit if I only have one possible setting. Have you found solutions to these struggles with your Big Eyes or am I fighting a futile fight? Needles to say my sinuses are raving having been flushed for ten dives.

piikki

I use my big eyes with a nylon strap and I don't have a problem with leaking.

Sometimes I will get a slow leak if I don't shave, but a quick clear sets things right for the rest of the dive. Where is the leak coming from?

One thing that I have noticed is that the bottom of my nose gets a bit sore after a few hours in the water.

Peter

Oh man I love mine... but whatever, if you don't like them, get a different pair. Let us know what you decide.

I have the Matrix and have noticed that if the strap is too far up on my head it will leak. No big deal I just move it down. I also tried it for snorkeling and there was no way. I dug out my old mask and used it.

Crpntr – these are the curious things I’d like to hear about. Like maybe there is a trick to this I am missing because I have experience only with exactly one mask prior to this. Only others I’ve just tried out in pool – but never had such hassle getting adjusted either. Like getting somewhat right was enough, and the thing would keep my nose dry if it fit my face to start with.

Peter – the location of leak when the strap isn't right is certainly hard to pinpoint too. It's very slow seeping. Slowly I just pool under nose and flat bubbles will collect on top of the lenses and run horizontal back and forth bugging me. I can’t feel the leak coming from any particular direction. The skirt does not seem to roll or crunch anywhere. I have tested diving the mask 'too tight' which really makes the leaking worse (vs having the it too loose). I would think that rigorous maneuvering underwater would make leaking worse if it was my face, so I have been grimacing and stuff – does not seem to make such a difference. I am just confused as to what settings I need to get. Or maybe my head just is bumpy and the strap slides… but then again I am trialing different straps… and it leaks from the beginning of the dive the same way. If it does it’s as bad all the way through.

I already had one of these I had to return because of a fault - so I got off on a bad start. There was a skirt problem around the lenses, and that mask just bubbled water in (the deeper I went the wilder it got, my buddy could see the stream of bubbles). This mask has not been bonkered like that one. Any of you use Rx lenses with yours?

I was able to get this one OK with the strap it came with. But just once. The moment I put the snorkel keeper on, I lost the setting, and the slow trickling started. So I know it can seal but... why is this so hard? I’d rather not give up just yet and throw away 130 bucks. I know I might have to but maybe someone solved this problem…

Do you actually use your snorkel every dive for surface swims or something? If not, you might consider stashing the snorkel someplace else like a pocket, and only sticking it on if you actually need to use it on the surface. Many people do not dive with a snorkel on their mask (if at all) as they can be a nuisance on a mask and will certainly help it leak.

Damselfish:
Do you actually use your snorkel every dive for surface swims or something? If not, you might consider stashing the snorkel someplace else like a pocket, and only sticking it on if you actually need to use it on the surface. Many people do not dive with a snorkel on their mask (if at all) as they can be a nuisance on a mask and will certainly help it leak.

I agree to nuisance part. As I have done mostly shore dives this first summer, I've worn snorkel to get a bit deeper (not nice to ascent around 6 ft...) Have to manever around some buoy lines and stuff so I like going belly down and be able to see, so snorkel's been handy. And, I haven't had a pocket until two week's ago! Now I can drag all kinds of unnecessary items with me that I have one. I am sure starting to understand better why 'big boys' aren't wearing the dang tube. This mask distorting issue is another pain it adds.

Best mask out there, love the field of vision. No leaks to report........I wear my hood over the strap, no problems.

I love my BigEyes though I do get a slight leak do to my mustache, no I am not going to shave it off.

I've got two of them... my favorite mask for fit and field of view. I feel like I'm in a tunnel with some of the other masks I own.

I have had problems with "premature" breakage of the straps on both. They are pretty flimsy IMHO. My first Big Eyes also had the strap cinch break so I haven't been able to use that one recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom