Field of view questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if anyone knows the FOV for the 14-42 and 9-18 lenses with the stock port. What about the Zen port?

How would the FOV compare with the xz-1 and OLY WAL (FOV around 100-110 range)?

I can't seem to decide between the two cameras. I've already got the E-PL1 camera. Could sell it though. Can't really afford the 9-18 and zen port at the moment...can add it on later.

I've also got a INON WAL100 67mm with dome. Can sell that as well. Or perhaps the third option is to keep the lens and go with the S95 and Ike housing (FOV would I imagine be in the 120 range). Or still sell the lens and get a Dyron 15mm (FOV?).

Please help me decide what to do. The FOV info would help my decision.

Last edited:
Please help me decide what to do. The FOV info would help my decision.

The reason you cannot decide between the two cameras or any camera is that you have not decided exactly what it is that you want to do. So, what exactly is it that you want to do?

Do you want to shoot macro and wide angle and ultra wide on the same dive?

Is it macro you are interested in or wide angle?

Is size and portability a factor?

Depth rating? Durability?

Bayonet lens mount vs threaded or both?

Professional for money or strictly amateur for fun?

How wide do you really want, 100 degrees is pretty wide above the water, not all that wide underwater?

Once you have decided what your priorities are then you should pick the camera and housing that allows you to accomplish those priorities. If that is a Canon or an Olympus or something else entirely, is irrelevant if it is the system that can fulfill your priority list.

People get wound up in brand and tech info and all sorts of things that really mean very little in practical use, especially at the amateur or hobbyist level. Worse, people buy a camera or housing because it is cheap or because it was a spur of the moment decision and then come on the internet and ask the typical "did I get a great deal?" question and usually, guess what, the answer to their dismay is usually no. The best deal is the deal that allows you to accomplish the specific priorities you have--what are they? Once you know that, you will know the answer to your questions.

N

Nemrod

Actually even though it doesn't seem like it I know what I want to do with my next set-up. I do want to be able to do both WA and macro in the same dive. I think I can do that with all three cameras mentioned. Seems like adding a wet Macro lens to the E-PL1 would work well with the 9-18 lens and zen port.

With the E-PL1 I can add a wet Macro lens 67mm which I already have. However, I can't afford the Zen port with 9-18 lens at this time. It would be a future purchase. So I'd start with the original port and 14-42 and then add the 9-18 and or the Zen port. I think that would be a good combination. I'd like to have an estimate of the following if anyone know.

14-42
14-42 with zen port
9-18
9-18 with zen port.

I imagine that the 14-42 alone will have less than 75 degrees and perhaps much less.

I could also sell my E-PL1 and go with the S95 with INON housing and use either the INON UWL-100 and dome that I already own or sell that also and go with another lens.

Finally, I could go with the xz-1 and OLY WAL but I think it's too heavy especially for only 100 degrees FOV. I've read that INON is coming out with a new lens that it designed to be used effectively with the xz-1.

Now that may be even more confusing than the first post. :wink:

I'm trying to work with what I've got and stay within my budget.

Went with the xz-1 plus PTWC-01. I also have a 6x macro lens. I think this setup provides the versatility that I was looking for at a decent price.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom