Fiji Advice- Beqa or Raki-Raki? Or Both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DesertEagle

Contributor
Reaction score
I need some advice on where to spend a week in Fiji. My first priority is to dive reefs teaming with soft corals and anthias. I've seen good reports about northern Vitu Levu. I found a hotel called the Tanoa Raki-Raki. It's moderately priced. From there I could dive with Kai Viti divers and see some of the Bligh waters.

Here's where it gets complicated. I'd also like to see some big sharks, up close. The shark dive with Beqa Adventure Divers sounds great. Instead of spending a day transferring between hotels... what if I were to do the entire trip diving near Beqa Lagoon. Would I see unbelievable reefs, or would it be lots of dead coral with a few healthy patches? I have heard different things about this area. Is early September a good time to see bull sharks? I'm open to any advice.

DesertEagle:
I need some advice on where to spend a week in Fiji. My first priority is to dive reefs teaming with soft corals and anthias. I've seen good reports about northern Vitu Levu. I found a hotel called the Tanoa Raki-Raki. It's moderately priced. From there I could dive with Kai Viti divers and see some of the Bligh waters.

Here's where it gets complicated. I'd also like to see some big sharks, up close. The shark dive with Beqa Adventure Divers sounds great. Instead of spending a day transferring between hotels... what if I were to do the entire trip diving near Beqa Lagoon. Would I see unbelievable reefs, or would it be lots of dead coral with a few healthy patches? I have heard different things about this area. Is early September a good time to see bull sharks? I'm open to any advice.

Assuming Kai Viti Divers hits the same sites as Crystal Divers used to (I'll find out in June), then you'll see sharks up close in the Bligh Waters. Like Palau (but not in such large numbers as one can see at Blue corner), when the current is running you'll see the beasts - usually grey reef or white tip sharks - hanging around coral ridges and bommies where the water accelerates over the deep-to-shallow transition.

Don, thanks yor your advice. My understanding is that Kai Viti goes to the same waters that Crystal Divers did. I will go for 8 days, so it may work out- 5 days in the north, 2 in the south and the last day free before flying.

Yes they do. Most of Crystal's staff now work for Kai Viti. Forget the Tanoa. Stay at Wananavu Beach Resort if you are going to dive with Kai Viti.

In August, 2004, my family and I dove with both Kai Viti divers and Beqa Lagoon Resort. They were both great but quite different. Beqa has a higher density of pretty stuff but the Bligh waters was higher voltage. Beqa had a lot better food and unlimited shore diving -- it would be my choice if I had to pick just one of the two. Check out our pix at: http://travel.adventure101.com/fiji.

I have dived in both places and Beqa Lagoon still gets my vote for lushness (soft corals, fishes, shark dive). Enjoy!

Wananavu's $300FJ rooms are booked. That leaves only the more expensive accommodations available. The Rakiraki hotel looked good, but somewhat islolated. I suppose I could stay on the Nananu-I-ra island, but it looks like nothing there is air conditioned.

Back to Beqa- I'd probably stay at the Lagoon Resort. The rate is under $100US per night. Wade, thanks for the link to the excellent photos. In your opinion Beqa really has a better concentration of soft corals & fish? I'm having visions of a previous trip to Hurghada, Egypt. Some folks told me the local sites were great. When I got there, what I saw was mostly "live rock." If I go to Beqa, I'd love to see clouds of fish. Preferably not too many patches of dead coral.

I bought my ticket to Fiji for the first week of September. At this stage, the logistics of Beqa look better, but I want to be totally sure that I'll see tons of soft corals and loads of fish.

Thanks all.

DesertEagle:
Wananavu's $300FJ I suppose I could stay on the Nananu-I-ra island, but it looks like nothing there is air conditioned.

I bought my ticket to Fiji for the first week of September. At this stage, the logistics of Beqa look better, but I want to be totally sure that I'll see tons of soft corals and loads of fish.

Thanks all.

First week of September, you won't need a/c.

Water sites than in Beqa if my scuba partners' memories are accurate, and they usually are. I've done many of the Bligh Water sites with Crystal Divers and I would have to say that they were exceptional for soft corals and anthias.

As for staying on Nananu-i-Ra, I think Julie of Kai Viti still has a guesthouse there. We stayed at a backpacker place on a rise that got lots of breeze in July and certainly did not need AC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom