Fiji Air carry-on weighed in HNL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chavala

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just weighed my carry-on and although I'm within the size dimensions, my photo gear weighs WAY more than the 7kg allowed. Since I'll begin my trip on the mainland (USA), my checked bags will go through to Nadi but I'll be changing planes to the FJ flight in Honolulu. Has anyone ever seen them weigh carry-ons at the gate? I've never seen a scale at a gate at a US airport, but Hawaii is....well, let's call it "different" to be nice ; )

They gave out tags saying a carryon was approved at the checkin counter, but its only loosely enforced iirc. I transferred at LAX, but they didn't weigh my backpack when i checked in because it was pretty small. I did see them weigh anyone with anything bigger than a backpack to check the weight though at the check in counter. this was for the fiji airways flight from lax to nadi. sidenote: the flights out from nadi seem to be delayed a lot and the airplane food is pretty bad on fiji.

Thanks! Yes, I've been watching the flights and they are all a mess. I'm in that day-before-departure scrambling / worrying about everything mode. I just want my head underwater and soon!

I flew from LAX several years ago. No weighing of carryons there. But, on departing from Fiji, they were weighing all carryons. I stuffed a lot of stuff in my pockets and then showed the person weighing that the carryon was all photo gear and computers and I was let on with the bag.

When I flew into HNL from Las Vegas a couple of years ago on Hawaiian Airlines, they weighed our carryon (not my backpack) both in HNL and LAS. Their limit is 25 lbs so I didn't have a problem, but it's the first time I've ever had a carryon weighed.

They are very fanatical about making people stuff their carry on into their carry on measuring cage, but I've never seen them check the weight of a carry on. When they put the approved tag on your carry on, make sure you leave it on, that's your ticket through the gate on your connection.

Last week - did not weigh or measure in LAX with me ( I saw them measure some other passengers, but not weigh).

The trip from Nadi to LAX was a different story - measured and weighed EVERYTHING.

The takeaway is nothing is certain. I always try to wear my backpack to give the appearance of light weight rather than lugging a load of bricks. Even if the straps are cutting your arms off, look nonchalant and you may avoid weighing.

I'm at HNL now. Thanks to frequent flier miles we're in business class and when I told her it was photo gear (and made a distressed face), she let us slide. My roller didn't fit in the sizer (even though the measurements are correct according to their website) and they weighed everything (and it was way over). But nobody in economy seemed to be getting away with it -- the line was insanely long and was taking forever since lots of people seemed to be over limits. I now have the tags so hopefully I wont have to go through this again at the gate. Thanks for all the advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom