Fiji - Aug 2006?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi -

My husband and I are going to the Solomons (Bilikiki liveaboard) for our second anniversary in June 2006. We are using United miles to fly business class from the east coast of the USA, and we found that part of the planning to be the most difficult...or at least, it was difficult to get info regarding the itinerary via Auckland to Brisbane...and NOTHING was ever available when we checked for availability. Things got considerably easier when we began looking at flying via LAX or San Fran to Sydney...the seats miraculously opened up (apparently the Air NZ flights are renowned for being difficult to use United miles on).

I'd recommend you contact United, use your miles to get where you can in "the region" on the dates you want, then have a travel agent in that part of the world (we are using Reef and Rainforest) arrange the rest for you, including additional flights. You could stay in Sydney for a few days, for instance, at a more urban hotel, eating at a few fab restaurants, then head out to PNG or Fiji for the romantic beach thing...

Congrats!!

vetdiver:
Hi -

My husband and I are going to the Solomons (Bilikiki liveaboard) for our second anniversary in June 2006. We are using United miles to fly business class from the east coast of the USA, and we found that part of the planning to be the most difficult...or at least, it was difficult to get info regarding the itinerary via Auckland to Brisbane...and NOTHING was ever available when we checked for availability. Things got considerably easier when we began looking at flying via LAX or San Fran to Sydney...the seats miraculously opened up (apparently the Air NZ flights are renowned for being difficult to use United miles on).

I'd recommend you contact United, use your miles to get where you can in "the region" on the dates you want, then have a travel agent in that part of the world (we are using Reef and Rainforest) arrange the rest for you, including additional flights. You could stay in Sydney for a few days, for instance, at a more urban hotel, eating at a few fab restaurants, then head out to PNG or Fiji for the romantic beach thing...

Congrats!!

Be sure to book the dive portion before booking the flights or you might have problems. Otherwise, I agree this is the way to go. Let an agent work out the other particulars. We did this last year, using USAir miles to get to Sydney and then had Diversion book us into PNG. Diversion was very good. I also hear great things about Reef & Rainforest. I highly recommend a few days in Sydney at an urban hotel. Sydney is a beautiful city with great restaurants and interesting sights. It's also a very walkable city.

rhyme:
!@#!@#, now PNG looks awesome.

Cant decide.

PNG is awesome. The diving is spectacular. It's very remote and beautiful. Fiji is also gorgeous. I just didn't love diving in Taveuni. The diving from Wananavu (then with Dan Grenier of Crystal Divers now with Kaiviti Divers) is excellent though not as varied or diverse as PNG. All in all, I would choose a Sydney/PNG trip over one to Fiji.

Hi Rhyme (and Reuben et al)

In terms of diving, PNG's the best I've experienced, bar none. However, if I were thinking "honeymoon" , I'd be a little hesitant, unless my betrothed-to-be is a hard core dive nut. I experienced both the Star Dancer liveaboard and the Walindi Plantation resort on Kimbe Bay in Papua New Guinea. Again, the diving was extraordinary but, even on the "luxury" Star Dancer, there's little to do other than dive-eat-sleep. Walindi's a gorgeous resort, but not air conditioned (nor ceiling-fanned after the generator quits at 11:00pm) and uncomfortably hot and swampy, even for this South Florida boy. Mozzies (local patois for mosquitos) are a discomfiting threat.

Mr. Cahn's experiences notwithstanding, I found Taveuni and its Somosomo Strait to have great diving. And, aside from our friend here, the soft corals are, indeed, amazing, in abundance, variety of color and size.

I agree that there's not the diversity of marine life found in PNG, but it certainly stars most of the Pacific undersea characters. As Reuben mentions, the island, and Fiji as a whole, for that matter, is gorgeous. I stayed at the relatively Spartan but none-the-less lovely Garden Island resort There's no beach, but the views are breathtaking (see below). . If you and your bride are up for a bit of hiking, there's some South Seas paradise countryside to take in. And the local folks could not be more friendly, warm and welcoming.

I use Delta partners for miles. Unfortunately, none of them flies to Fiji. For PNG, I flew Continental to Cairns. Then Air Neu Guinea from Cairns to Port Moresby and onward.

As far as I'm concerned, with not too much exageration, the worst Pacific diving beats the best Caribbean, so I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the diving at any of the recognized Pacific destinations.

Happy Honeymoon!

ps....Dear Bella,

I'll be on the sister ship, Spirit of Solomons the week before you're on the Bilikiki. Perhaps we'll pass like ships in the night!

Best Regards,

Just a thought, Fiji elections are in September 2006, State Department advises tourists to stay out of the way. I'm thinking August may be cutting it a bit close.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Parliamentary elections will be conducted in 2006, and the campaign will generate keen local interest. Visitors should be attentive to the political calendar and avoid public demonstrations.

Terrain in the Fiji islands can be hazardous. Please consult with local guides and/or your place of lodging before undertaking a trek. Americans are also advised to hike with a companion and not to stray from marked or well-worn paths.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov/, where the current Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, Travel Warnings and Public Announcements can be found.

Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or, for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

mantasscareme... this is the 2nd time you raised issues about a coup in fiji... any particular reason?

in the south pacific, any of the islands have tension at any one time. in fact, our government had travel warnings on the good old US not so long ago. i will be honest, i will not go to Bali but i first said this 10 years ago before any bombings but i will freely go to Fiji, PNG, Solomons despite their problems in the last 10 years.

I'm not concerned about the State Departments travel warnings. With Mr. kuku bananas at the helm here in the USA and the Department of Needlessly Worrying now funded by the Oil and Gas Division of Scaring You .... well... I digress. I'm not all that worried about sitting at Beqa Lagoon and having to deal with some kind of localized coup where the tourists are all killed. If it happens and I die, at least I get killed on a tropical island.

After careful consideration, Fiji, I think, has the most to offer for me. I've always wanted to go, since I saw the first photos when I first started diving. I've waited a helluva long time to make the trip and I cant wait anymore.

I'll be making calls to Beqa or Taveuni soon, and think I will do the Syndey stopover - seems worthwhile, I keep hearing Syndey is just amazing.

UAL will be able to assist with Syndey flights I think.

It'll be a long trip...

ORD -> FCO (Getting married in Italy)
FCO -> ORD
ORD -> LAX
LAX -> SYD
SYD -> NAN
NAN -> SYD
SYD -> LAX
LAX -> ORD

rhyme:
I'm not concerned about the State Departments travel warnings. With Mr. kuku bananas at the helm here in the USA and the Department of Needlessly Worrying now funded by the Oil and Gas Division of Scaring You ....

~~~~~~~PRICELESS !!! ~~~~~~~~~~~:jestera:

My sentiments exactly

Best,

almitywife:
mantasscareme... this is the 2nd time you raised issues about a coup in fiji... any particular reason?

QUOTE]
You misunderstood me that time, I have nothing against Fiji whatsoever, in fact I kind of hoped to visit that area this April. I just think that that's a good thing to keep in mind if planning a trip there, and maybe making the decision to head to the other islands instead of staying in Suva to avoid all of the pre-election hustle and bustle.
Either way, I've heard some positive reviews of Kulu Bay Resort on Beqa.

Back
Top Bottom