Fiji diving report - Rainbow Reef, Taveuni Island Resorts and video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stargost

Contributor
Reaction score
Quick highlight on dive trip in Fiji:

We spent 7 days diving in Taveuni Island, and then 7 days on the Mamanuca area closer to Viti Levu/Nadi

a) Video
========

Even if a little shaky and not as clear/sharp as wished, it should show that the diving is very reasonable !!
In Taveuni, there are mainly 2 reefs being explored outside the liveaboard: Rainbow Reef being the main one, and Vuna reef (smaller and on the south).
Both provide excellent and various dive spots
The Rainbow reef is famous for its colorful walls (white wall spots in particular).
The Vuna reef is also pretty cool, 5-10min from the Paradize hotel, one of the spot is called "orgasm" ... it fits ! no more comment...

Viz varies but is really good, within the 50+ft min most of the time
Depth between 50 and 90ft
Water temp at 80F +/- 2F (I'd say little cold for only a 3mil, especially for the 2nd dive is there is wind)
There could be lots of current, but this is what's needed for the best dives. The current is mostly predictable, the crew know about it, so never had to pull a bag.
In Taveuni, DM we were diving with allowed the group (usually small) to stay up to 50 and 55min. They are conservative (no chamber near by) but if everyone has air, you can hang on during ascent to enjoy the view.

b) Locations:
=============

Taveuni is called the garden island, it's a beautiful islandand and ... it's very green. Meaning it rains ;-) But the south east where most of the diving takes places is well protected.

We staid in 2 places:

Aroha Taveuni, Aroha Taveuni

It's a very small B&B, walking distance from the 180 meridian (changing day line!). Excellent. Would recommend for sure. The dive club would pick you up either by car of by boat at the close jetty and drop off the same way.
It's not a diving faciity like some other hotels/resort, but very quiet. No lunch offered, but good dinners and you can cook if you want to. There are some shops around and a restaurant (all are very local...)

Taveuni Paradize, Scuba Diving in Fiji | Taveuni Accommodation | Taveuni Resort

Situated at the very south end of the island, at an hour drive (30min dirt road...) from the airport, it is also an excellent place to stay.
It's very isolated, in the green vegetation.
Full service is offered and there are many staff to take care of you. They are all super nice. The owners, Terri and Allan are very friendly and welcoming. They love Fiji and Taveuni - for good reasons !
The overall resort place is very nice, with wonderful view in front of the ocean, including from the pool, and of course, one of the advantage of Paradize is the fact you can shore dive from the hotel, which offer full diving service on site.

I'd recommend with no hesitation the 2 places.

Dive club: "Pro-Dive", Diving Dive Center Pro Dive Taveuni
In a nutshell, it's an excellent club I will recommend. Never too crowded, the instructors are very nice and friendly. For example, as i couldnt film a blue ribbon eel during the main dive at Rainbow reef, John, one of the instructor told me to come with him and his single student, and he'll show me where he has recently spoted one in the area of the hotel shore, etc ...
Most of the DM are ok too, while like every where else, some are better (in terms of whowing you stuff) than other but they are all super nice and friendly.
You can dive a lot there, 2 dives in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, shore dive anytime, night dive. Really good place.

I think it is a really good club, but it is a little pricey

c) conclusion
===========

Good diving, with lots of life and critters, as well as many color with all the soft corals.
Vena Levu and Taveuni seems much better diving places than Mamanuca and Yasawa islands, but these last offer apparently very decents spots as well (went into an amazing pinacles near beach comber island), some other divers went to Beqa for the sharks feeding and apparently, pretty decent places as well.

Fiji is not too difficult to reach, it's a night 'red eye' flight, but overall goes fast.

And above all, people there are extremely nice and friendly. It's very valuable as you dont spend the 24h underwater !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom