Fiji or Cook Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jhpowell

Reaction score
Planning a 2 week dive trip to either Cook Islands (never been) or Fiji in early December (several years ago did a week at Beqa Lagoon and a week on Matangi). How does the overall diving compare? Any recommendations?
Cheers

The diving in the Cook Islands is at the bottom of any list. Their reefs are basically dead. The marine life was hard to find. The diving on the main island of Fiji is good but if you go to the Fiji outer islands (northeast), like Tavauni the diving was awesome. This island also has some of the most awesome waterfalls, a must afternoon trip. Have a great trip.

Hi Jhpowell,

What worlddiver said. Cook Islands diving is trash.

Two thumbs up on northeastern Fiji out islands, although I suspect worlddiver actually means "Taveuni" and not "Tavauni." There's a number of excellent resorts & dive ops there spanning a range of luxury/price ----> http://www.fiji.islands-diving.com/taveuni_diving.cfm

Have fun.

DocVikingo

I just came back from Fiji. It was unbelievable. I did my diving with Kai Viti Divers (recommended on Undercurrent). They run a great operation. You can expect to see pristine reefs and no other boats.

I also just got back from Fiji and loved it. We spent a week at Matangi (as well as a week in Savusavu and 5 nights on the Tui Tai) and dove almost every day. I have never been to the cook islands, but the diving around Matagi compared favorably to anyplace I've been in the Carribean or elsewhere. I'll post a full trip report at some point, but can tell you that you would not be disappointed if you booked a trip to Matangi.

Hi: I have dove both the Cook Islands and all the major dive areas in Fiji. If you want good diving you definately should go to Fiji. I also recommend Wananavu with Kai Viti Divers......the diving is really incredible, probably the best in Fiji and the package pricing right now is really, really good. Wananavu Resort is beautiful and a great value....but we also have a great price with a budget hotel if you want to keep the price really low. I also recommend the diving from Taveuni and my favorite resort in the North is also Matangi. Matangi is a deluxe/luxury property and has a special rate that offers 2 free nights with a 7 night stay.....this is a really great deal. I also like the diving on the Astrolab Reef from Kadavu Island, (South of the main island), this has great variety and very pristine.

If you wanted to visit the Cook Islands because of the great beaches and beautiful lagoons.....you would be going to the right reason. The Cook Islands are really beautiful.....I love Aitutaki, I think it is probably one of the most beautiful spots in the world. The diving is okay.....but definately not as good as Fiji.

If you want pictures or just to chat about the diving in both places feel free to ask.

Hope you have a great trip.

Mary Jane

Thanks for the great information. My husband and I enjoyed our diving in Matangi. Besides the Beqa Lagaoon Resort which we spent diving a week on did not dive other parts of Fiji, so your info was extremely helpful. We thought it would be fun to dive the Cooks but from all the feedback does not sound like the best option.

Thanks again,
Jeanne

My finace and I will be honeymooning in Fiji. We are trying to look for a package. Which location in Fiji would you say is easy for beginner divers? We heard that the northeastern part has strong currents. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There is a really cool resort on the islabd of Kadavu called Papageno Rresort that I staey at last year. The diving was great! and you didn't have to go deep to see a rainbow of soft coral and heaps for wildlife. We saw Mantas playing in the reef surfline. The resort was laid back and very moderatley priced. I think it would be a great place to Honeymoon. Although that being said, I think anyplace in Fiji would be a great place to Honeymoon.
03.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom