Filament Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zack Freedman just released a Youtube video going through several types filament types, very informative.

ASA filament would seem to be the best choice

I’ve been hearing more on ASA recently. I need to look into it. ABS can be a real bear to get to stick.

I print with ABS. I always print with 100 % infill to avoid water ingestion. Besides I print at the highest temperature, 250 °C to ensure good bonding in the Z axis. Furthermore I reduced the distance between lines, as default the distance between lines is 0,48 mm. I've reduced to 0,44 to avoid void spaces. Also I do not use layer fan.
Parts are almost always black. ABS has a better temperture stability. Many times, prints and scuba gear in general, are left at the direct sunlight. With PETG and PLA, direct sunlight deforms the prints.

Also consider purposely allowing water ingestion. I just printed a camera mini-tray with zero outer surface but at 60% infill density, using a gyroid pattern. Strength is good, and water flows in, and right back out.

I’ve been hearing more on ASA recently. I need to look into it. ABS can be a real bear to get to stick.
I have a Bambu Lab X1-Carbon and it print ABS incredible well, even with some really old ABS filament.

Textured PEI Plates work a treat with a bit of glue

I have a Bambu Lab X1-Carbon and it print ABS incredible well, even with some really old ABS filament.

Textured PEI Plates work a treat with a bit of glue
I do a bit of printing with ABS too. What works really well for me on a PEI build plate with ABS to prevent warping is to really crank up the plate temp like 90c or higher, and make a slurry of waste ABS dissolved in acetone and brush a thin layer on the build plate before each print.

I tried some hairspray on the PEI plate for the first time today. Ive been printing for probably 10 years and have never tired it. Worked pretty well along with a big brim for ABS. Ive only recently started trying ABS b/c I never had an enclosure before. Picked up a Bambu P1S a month or two ago and broke out the ABS that's been in my storage box for at least 8 years. Ill haver to try the ABS and acetone trick too.

I'd be cautious with using the ABS Acetone mix on a textured plate as it can damage the surface as it gets into all the crevices and becomes a nightmare to remove, especially with larger prints.

I'd be cautious with using the ABS Acetone mix on a textured plate as it can damage the surface as it gets into all the crevices and becomes a nightmare to remove, especially with larger prints.
Good call. The build plate I use when printing ABS is a completely flat sheet that I just scuff up a bit with 240 grit, not a rough surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom