film speed and flash or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

49thdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, all my photography so far has been in the pacific northwest.
I am using a sea&sea mx 10 with the ys-40 strobe, I normally shoot using 400 asa film.
The camera will take 100 asa.

I am going to be diving in Belize,Cayman and Honduras, what speed film should I use and will I need my strobe.

I have found kodak film to red and dark in the northern waters and have started to use fuji and konica film and prefer the colors. what would you recomend again for these southern waters.

Thanks , Peter

I prefered 100 when I was using my MX-10. I found the Kodak colors to be more true to life but I did prefer brighter color of Fuji. By all means use the strobe but do not use the setting with the internal flash, the ones with the lighting bolt. If you don't have them, I would also suggest you get a closeup lens and a macro lens. The closer you can get to your subject the better the pictures will be. Another item I would suggest you get is a copy of "The New Guide to Sea and Sea", I think thats the title, it's close anyway. That book has a lot of information on the MX-10 and YS40.

100 worked best for me, or 200 as a second choice. 400 just didn't give me the quality I wanted.

All a mute point now as I switched to digital.

Higher ASA #'s mean grainer prints, especially if you plan on making enlargements. If you use 100 ASA, your prints will appear cleaner and not grainy.

Peter, assuming on recreational depths, I'd reccomend taking ISO 100 film. This will work nicely in clear tropical waters, on a bright sunny day, down to roughly 80 fsw.

I'd also reccomend taking a few rolls of ISO 400, for those days when it's overcast or very cloudy.

By all means, take your flash, no matter how bright or shallow; the near-field colors and visible eyes of the divers will thank you.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom