Filter and Macro - DC 1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up the SL951 macro lens for cheap on eBay. Although it was designed for the older SeaLife cameras, it fits perfectly on the DC1200; simply snaps into place. I tried it for the first time today, and definitely the macro performance is significantly improved. I'm quite happy with it! Happy enough that I will hold off on buying a new canon, and try more macro with the SeaLife! :)

Do you have any pics to post with your macro lens? I just bought a macro SL951 on ebay for 5$. Have to wait a week for my Christmas Florida dive trip to try it out!!

I only had the chance to use it once so far, but it does seem to improve the macro performance.
I'll try to post a link here: Whytecliff - first try with Macro lens (SL951) | Facebook

There aren't particularly great shots, I was just trying to test the lens with whatever subject I could find on an ordinary local dive. But from what I can tell, the macro is improved. It is probably worth the $5 or so to pick up that little macro lens! ;-) I can report back when I have tested it further.

Last edited:
A macro lens will almost always improve your ability to shoot small subjects, especially when zooming in to give yourself a little more working distance. A red filter is not necessary, but will help you get better reds & oranges when shooting ambient light shots in 15-30ft of water. - Scott

I also have problems with Macro shots, All of my macro photos are of Reef dwelling critters so it is very difficult to remain "perfectly" still without laying on the reef. I will keep practicing hoping to improve :)

A few examples of macro shots with DC 1200 and SL 951 macro lens

I've had the chance to try out the macro lens a bit more, and it does seem to help. Here are a couple of examples of some pictures I took recently. The first is a decorated warbonnet in a cloud sponge, the second is a very tiny shrimp sitting on an orange sea pen (actually on the original picture, you can see more detail on the tiny shrimp, some of the detail is lost on the compressed jpeg).

PICT0011.jpgPICT0021.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom