fin spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one caveat I have on spring straps revolves around the pressure on the achilles tendon which can make long term use (multiple dives/multiple days) painful. There are two (at least) solutions to that problem -- padded boots (my drysuit has THICK boots) or broad band over the springs. I use both solutions -- and with that caveat, TSandM is right again (as always) -- They ROCK!

When the photos are up I'll post some pictures of my Farafins. The have a blade and pocket like a jetfin, a spring strap and a great big rubber piece that pads the back of your foot.

It is probably the only piece of dive equipment I've bought that will never be upgraded. I bought the xsscuba spring straps and they had 3 different attachment types to handle multiple fins. The only thing I would caution you about is make sure that the spring straps fit all of your various boots. They fit my 3 mil just fine, my 7mm bare artic on the other hand are a tight fit. Don't wait for your current ones to break, buy them now. If you do wait you will be kicking yourself for putting up with normal fin straps for all those dives when you finally do buy them.

I don't care for the skinny ones with minimal covering over the springs, as they bite the tendon a little too hard for my tastes. Many like them, and they are a good minimalist design, but I recommend something with a broader band over the springs to spread out the point of contact. I also like a pull loop, although I believe some intense cave/wreck divers prefer to tape them off or cut them off as a snagging hazard, although I feel that's an extreme reaction for a minor, fairly unlikely, scenario.

Good examples of the ones I refer to are the Apollo Spring Straps ($$$) and the EZ Spring Straps from Innovative Scuba (the budget option, without compromising the necessary features).

Get the kind that fit your fin, whichever route you choose.

Spring straps ROCK. :)

http://www.divesports.com/mall/innovative_acc_springstraps.asp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom