fin spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M.D.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey SB,
What are some of your opinions of spring fin straps? I've been thinking of getting some and I was wondering if there were any drawbacks that I should consider. As it stands I have some Aqualung Blades with the doffing clips, which are real nice to get the fins off but when they break (and they will) I was wondering if I should replace them or get some spring straps. Thoughts?

p.s. I'm quite aware that this has likely been discussed, but I thought people might like to repeat themselves.

Absolutely love mine; Easy on...easy off and always stay snug. Make sure to get them with the nice large pull tabs on back as it makes it easier with gloves. Down side; they will sink...slowly..but none the less will. Good luck.

Harder to lose fins if you've got spring straps...

Everything is better in a spring strap. Do a search on the DIY section on the board and make your own!

Love mine, too! Messing with straps is one of those PITA things that you don't give much thought to until you don't have to do it anymore.

Springs straps ROCK. Period.

I make them, including for Blades. My wife dives Blades. They're one of those things that once you use, you say "Ok, now I get it".

I've been using spring straps since Farallon brought them out on the FaraFin in the mid 1970s. I can't believe that it's taken so long for everyone else to catch up. Ralph always was ahead of his time.

Absolutely the way to go!

Make sure there is an internal cord to prevent over extension.

A pull handle or tab is a must. I made ours with fin keepers that let us clip the fins off to our BCs and they also serve as pull tabs.

Pete

Not only do I love the spring straps I just put on my Jets, but the deckhands on the dive boat last weekend were commenting how the world would be wonderful if everyone dove with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom