Final Answer-- Scuba as an elective class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys.

Thanks for all your comments, both negative and positive in the last thread. I know many of you wanted to hear what I decided. Also if you have any input you are more then welcome to comment on it ( I need more ideas!!)

Topic: Why Scuba should be offered as a high school elective class.

Arguments For:
1. Teaches a sport in a safe environment.
2. Creates a standardized process for teaching teens the sport of diving.
3. Creates many same age, same background dive partners.
4. Can be coupled with a marine biology class.
5. Promotes love and protection of the ocean.
6. Creates jobs as school instructors.
7. Increases an industry that is struggling.
8. Provides an alternative to traditional after school activities.
9. Promotes good self-esteem because everyone can do it.
10. Teaches personal self responsibility.
11. Differs from normal classes because it is more fun and hands on.
12. Makes certification cheaper through the school system.

Arguments Against:
1. Scuba diving is dangerous.
2. Scuba diving is more dangerous when in a class full of teenagers who don’t pay
attention to safety regulations.
3. The classes may be too big to teach safely (low student to instructor ratio).
4. MONEY! Why give funds to an activity when many cuts are being made too
many academic programs.
5. Resources (Pool, equipment).

I especially need arguments to combat money and resource problems.

If you have any ideas more than welcome!!:D:D

thanks
nick

Arguments For:
1. Teaches a sport in a safe environment.
2. Creates a standardized process for teaching teens the sport of diving.
3. Creates many same age, same background dive partners.
4. Can be coupled with a marine biology class.
5. Promotes love and protection of the ocean.
6. Creates jobs as school instructors.
7. Increases an industry that is struggling.
8. Provides an alternative to traditional after school activities.
9. Promotes good self-esteem because everyone can do it.
10. Teaches personal self responsibility.
11. Differs from normal classes because it is more fun and hands on.
12. Makes certification cheaper through the school system.

Arguments Against:
1. Scuba diving is dangerous.
2. Scuba diving is more dangerous when in a class full of teenagers who don’t pay
attention to safety regulations.
3. The classes may be too big to teach safely (low student to instructor ratio).
4. MONEY! Why give funds to an activity when many cuts are being made too
many academic programs.
5. Resources (Pool, equipment).

I especially need arguments to combat money and resource problems.

Money and school systems go hand-in-hand so that argument disappears as soon as you find a way to fund it. Short of that, you will have a tough case to make.

I'd argue more towards a good water-sports program that included SCUBA. You will have a better chance of finding sponsors for a well rounded aquatics program.

Money and school systems go hand-in-hand so that argument disappears as soon as you find a way to fund it. Short of that, you will have a tough case to make.

I'd argue more towards a good water-sports program that included SCUBA. You will have a better chance of finding sponsors for a well rounded aquatics program.

didn't high schools teach scuba a while back?

I have an odd opinion. As a Band teacher for many years, I was greatfull that our school board supported Band and the Arts, to a decent degree. Never really sure Band had anything to do with school. I played school basketball, tennis, and briefly on the HS swim team. Not sure that sports really has much to do with school. I personally don't refer to SCUBA as a sport, as many do, but as a really fun activity that CAN be somewhat physical, though not competitive. What do all these things have in common?---FUN. When I was a kid, I didn't think of school as fun. It's a weird view for a former teacher, I know, but I think SCUBA does just fine outside the school system. Some Band and sports programs not affiliated with a school also do quite well.

TM: Good on you for teaching band. I was lucky enough to get to grammer and middle school back in the dark ages when we had art, band, and sports. I never had any real musical or artistic talent, but it was fun, and I think studies have shown non-academic programs enrich lives. I wasn't really into sports, played a bit of hockey, and as a guy who gravitated towards doing musicals in high school I'd have to say I'd cut organized sports before I chopped band and art.

The OP has good points for and against, and I'd one more in the for column that builds on your post TM. I grew up in one of those towns where everyone minus those of us bookworms played football or wrestled. Since I did neither I never really felt like I belonged. If you'd offered me SCUBA I would have had something that challenged my mind and body without any sort of competition, which is what I would have loved. I still don't see the point in getting an object from one end of a field to the other, but the idea of feeling free and weightless would have been great.

Funding it won't be easy, but by the time my brother made it to high school they had self-funded a hockey team and that is a pretty money intensive endeavor as well. With any new project if you can show the person you're selling the idea to that it is already funded and has wide community support it goes much easier. Good luck!

Michael

PADI has a "Children and SCUBA Diving" propaganda book that might be helpful. It points out that there is value in teaching children skills in order to mature them as much as there is in ensuring their maturity before teaching them skills [that require maturity]. It's mostly aimed at getting the 10-14 developmental range, but the ideas would be in line with your debate.

If you want to borrow it, let me know. I live in Santa Cruz and work in Palo Alto, so I could drop by Los Altos on my way to or from work. I believe PADI released it as a PDF to instructors, so someone on the board might be able to hook you up with a digital copy.

didn't high schools teach scuba a while back?

Yes high schools in my area did sort of teach scuba. As far as I know it was only at schools lucky enough to have a pool. The other schools did not offer the program. Also what they taught would be more considered a discover scuba type class not the actual open water C card. Again I only have knowledge local to myself and our land locked community.

I believe that alot of the danger of scuba is uncertified people using equipment and after becoming certified, doing things "their own way."

Traditionally, funding at that level of school comes from places I'm sure you're familiar with: car washes, bake sales, other fund raising sales (buy a ticket to win -this item-), and possibly sponsorship. Since your sport isn't common, you will have different avenues to hit up for sponsorship. For example, I wouldn't think that many football players would ask their LDS to sponsor their team.

Can someone tell me if there already is an instructor to student ratio? I know that if they have another DM along that the instructor can possibly have more students at one time.

Would this be an elective, an after school activity, or a replacement for PE? (omg that would have been awesome for me.) This makes a difference because a 'class' is much different than a 'recreational afterschool activity.'

also, have you seen the posts on Schooba? He (they) are teaching students scuba as a science. check it out!!

thanks for the update :)

ETA: sorry, just noticed that you said as an elective class, so this would be DURING school hours.
tina

[QUOTE=

Would this be an elective, an after school activity, or a replacement for PE? (omg that would have been awesome for me.) This makes a difference because a 'class' is much different than a 'recreational afterschool activity.'

Wow, does this ever strike a nerve with me. Actually TWO nerves. As far as PE goes ( and my former staff colleagues would have me drawn and quartered for this): I was playing sports all the time- school basketball, church ball, pick-up games outside. Did I NEED to have PE during school when I could've had study time to do homework???

Re: "class" vs. "activity". I taught Band "classes" in several schools. Also taught Band as an activity, which pulled kids from regular classes to get small group instruction and with full Band rehearsals being outside school hours. The latter meant more hours work for me, but it was a zillion times better that a Band "class".

What I meant was: I hated PE. I didn't play ball, or do cheer or ribbon girls/flag guard, etc and was fairly uncoordinated. Our school did not have a pool. I would MUCH rather have still had a PE period and taken a SCUBA or even swim physical activity during that time, instead of being forced to play what others considered traditional sports (basketball, volleyball, some sort of soccer or football game, running track).

and i agree that it would be nice to have a study hall!!

any time spent during school to me doing anything is going to be a "class." after school pursuits i consider an "activity." and i did not mean band. i honestly actually only meant sports!!

though i did not participate in band CLASSES or ACTIVITIES, my brother and 2 sisters did. I only went to the football games to watch the band.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom