finally buying equipment to snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chefmike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey everyone! I figured I would post in this section, as I am here with a primary interest in snorkel life...

I am buying a setup (probably from joediveramerica dot com, the package they have.) before my next beach trip: Sunset Beach, NC in October.

I snorkelled as a kid growing up in FL and have rediscovered it as an adult, snorkelling freshwater lagoons in FL and on a shipwreck in Bermuda.

I am excited to have the gear, and will likely use it in the lakes here in north Georgia as well as on beach trips.

Before I buy the package online, I am going to stop by the LDS and see what they have (yes, we have a dive shop in the mtns of north geeorgia!)

Here is to keeping snorkellers together as well as the dive crowd!

Attachments

• snorkel small.JPG
    snorkel small.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 98
Here is to keeping snorkellers together as well as the dive crowd!

Hey Chef, I hope you have a good time. For many years I had this strange notion that snorkeling is only done in the oceans. I guess there was a lot of "Just never thought about it" in my life. Now I look at every lake and stream with the the thought, "I wonder how that would be to snorkel?" As to the quote above, it has seemed too bad to me that while snorkeling is actually immensely popular, it is a feature of millions of vacations every year, most snorkelers seem to be pretty passive about the whole thing. If there is equipment to rent, they go snorkeling, otherwise they just forget about it. So far as I have seen, there is not much of a "snorkeling community" out there. When we look at how divers are catered to, with dive resorts and all that, serious snorkelers are kind of left out the picture. Hell, there isn't even a snorkeler-specific sticker I can put on my m/c. How fair is that?

If you are serious about a dive mask, it's always better to go to a dive shop to try some on so you can be sure you get a good fit. If you buy a mask on-line, it will probably fit (most modern-day masks do), but may not fit as well as it could. It's o.k. to buy the fins and snorkel on-line.

chefmike,

You do know that you are stepping onto a slippery slope don't you?

My wife and I made such a purchase n 2004... it has not ended yet. :) Skin diving is the perfect gateway sport to scuba diving whether that is your dreams or not you will be well on your way.

I urge you shop for these items locally. they need to fit. It's as simple as that. Here are some tips on getting started with your mask.

It's a nebulous term but try to stay with "scuba quality" items. Some bargain snorkel set items notably fins can fail in as little as a few hours of use. This way you will be set for many years of fun on or in the water.

Welcome to the adventure and ScubaBoard.

Pete

Welcome to the snorkelling forum! Snorkelling has been my passion since the early 1960s. I have never been interested in SCUBA diving or free diving. Snorkelling is such a wonderful pastime that can be pursued with the minimum of equipment:
Snorkeling Forum - What is Essential for Snorkelers? Editorial by Joel Simon

It involves no elaborate forward preparation. It doesn't have to progress to something "better". It's a perfect pursuit in itself. I've recently discovered how easy and agreeable snorkelling can be in my own vicinity as the North Sea is just 8 miles away from where I live in the North East of England. I've spent a very pleasant hour there this morning with a just a few dog-walkers for company. I've never understood why British snorkellers always seem to associate snorkelling with expensive hurricane-prone tropical destinations when, with a good exposure suit, they can enjoy snorkelling much more cheaply and conveniently at home.

Certain SCUBA and free divers swear by the superiority of their own choice of gear and make dogmatic pronouncements, such as full-foot fins can only be worn in warm water. Snorkelling is mercifully free of these prescriptions and proscriptions, it's about finding equipment which suits the individual, not the diving instructor or the diving store salesman. I wear good old-fashioned rubber full-foot fins and a traditional rubber-skirted oval mask when I snorkel from the beach on the coast of Northumberland into the cold waters of the North Sea. That's my choice of gear and I wouldn't dream of telling you what models and brands of equipment to buy for your own needs. The only advice I will give equipment-wise is that what you buy must fit you, not anybody else.

Just so there will not be an apparently unanimous opinion where one does not exist, but with no intention of offending anyone, I am of the opinion that the internet is the best place to buy gear. I have not made a scientific study of the issue but these are my personal opinions: (1) LDS's are not like the old fashion shoe store where the kindly old man would never think of selling you shoes that don't fit. Norman Rockwell died some time ago. (2) LDS's do not have a selection even in the same universe as what is available on the internet. (3) The one very good reason I know of for intentionally supporting your LDS is if a person is a diver and needs a place to get his tanks filled. Snorkelers do not need an LDS at all. (4) The internet is way less expensive. (5) The place where I buy equipment will pay return shipping if the equipment does not fit and often sells items with free shipping. (6) A poor, uninformed, totally mistaken choice of snorkeling gear is not that big of a deal. It's just part of getting together the perfect kit for your needs and taste.

I agree with RalphinOrmond. Local dive stores (LDS) are there to stock and retail diving equipment, not snorkelling gear, which can be, at best, a sideline for them. I wouldn't consider patronising the LDS in my vicinity because they don't sell the traditional oval masks and rubber full-foot fins I prefer. I collect and snorkel with such gear and find online swimming gear stores a more reliable source than LDS. My current favourites in the way of fins and masks, Escualo Clasica fins and an Escualo Ixtapa mask
wp9d567730.png

wp081b8361.png

were both purchased online from an online sports equipment retailer in Mexico. For me, purchasing online has little to do with saving money - I suspect I end up paying more because of international shipping costs. However, getting the brand and model of gear I want matters to me and if my LDS doesn't market it, I'm not prepared to settle for substitutes. The downside, of course, is that fins and masks can't be tried on before purchase, but good online retailers have a returns service.

Hi chef,
As I do both snorkel and scuba diving I suggest you buy proper snorkel gear, which can be used for both snorkel and scuba diving, the cheap stuff doesn’t give as much pleasure and often only last for a short time. If you really get into snorkelling then you will be snorkelling not just in warm waters but also in colder waters, which means you need a bit more than a mask, snorkel and fins but that you can deal with later on. For a start you should opt for a large bore snorkel with a large size dump valve and flex hose and a proper snorkel clip with swivel adaptor for strapping to your mask. Your mask should be a wide field vision, low profile type with silicone rubber skirt and you should use a protective pad to cover your mask straps. For snorkelling in warm waters choose full foot closed-foot version fins same size as your shoes.
Remember to soak your equipment in fresh water after use and protect it from direct sunlight.
So get the gear, get in the water and good luck.

Cheers

Scubajo007

hello,
i just want to chim in on this subj... i dont know about others, but JMO i love my gear... its U.S Divers and i think it works just great... i really love my mask and snorkle i bought it at a store here in north texas called Academy Sports and outdoors... i think you can order from them online as well but i got a mask snorkle package with out the fins... i really didnt like the fins in the package but i really love the us divers mask and snorkle... the mask i own has a 180Deg full view and the snorkle is a bomber style snorkle that automaticly closes when you submerge... i paid like 29.99 plus tax for it and i dont think i could have bought a better deal anywhere else... i picked some old scuba pro jet fins and thats waht i use... love them but i would like to pick up some lighter wieght fins later on to snorkle dive indoor pool at my local gym over the winter months to keep swimming practice up...
i have used my us divers gear in miami fl and lakes and springs here in texas... i recomend the U.S. Divers or Aqualung brand it has worked out great for me and it is soo inexpensive...
just thought id give a 2 cents and let you know what has worked great for me..

Thanks for all the thoughts... this is why I love forums!

I am going to stop in the LDS to see what they have and try on masks. I am not expecting much, as our location cannot mean he is really a high volume operation. I have found the same thing with some of my other hobbies.

I am going to set up this kit now and play with it for a year in various places. Next year I am heading back to Bermuda for my anniversary, so I want to have a well fitting and proven kit with me on that trip, as I am going to focus several days on snorkelling (I am married to a woman who loves laying on the beach while I do my various adventures).

I figure this will let me start now and if I need to change masks or get some other pieces of kit.

I guess I will read some about the diving, but for now I will likely just stick with tube instead of tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom