finally buying equipment to snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried to sort this out... do I still want one of these if I am bald/shaved head? Is it just to spread the pressure and make it more comfortable?

Yes it will make it more comfortable and you will note a difference and besides a cover pad is very cheap.

Good to know. I will make sure the cover pad is on my list.

Looks like my local dive shop closed its doors. They are still doing classes, but no retail. I am planning on buying all my initial equipment on the web now, and then I will visit a dive shop while I am at the beach.

Ah, that's a pity about your LDS closing. It's one thing to buy online by choice, like many people do, but it sucks to be forced to. Poorly-fitting mask and fins can easily ruin the snorkeling experience, so I never buy these online. Certain masks have a reputation for fitting many face shapes - a search should turn up lots of threads.

Fin grips / fin keepers can help rescue imperfectly-fitting fins. A few people were discussing them recently in the "long fins little feet" thread.

For me 1mm neoprene socks are an essential part of minimum equipment, to prevent blisters. That means I require fins that are slightly too large. I wish I had bought the socks years ago! Because I'm very prone to blisters I used to wear "real" socks, and ensuring that sand didn't get inside was very frustrating and often unsuccessful.

Don't be surprised if your gear list eventually grows to include a "rashie" and/or wetsuit to keep you warm and protected from sunburn and jellyfish.

I was already lookie at either a suit or a rashie, as I am fair skinned and tend to forget about time while I am snorkelling.

I am not sure about fins... 11 to 13 seems to be the large size, and I am a thirteen. I will see if my neoprene socks fit under them. I have booties for fly fishing...

well in my opinion you should buy scuba equipment- who knows? maybe youll wanna start going down there with tanks one day?
regarding masks you should buy a scuba/free diving mask because theyre durable, comfortable and offer great visibility.
in the fins dept. ill have to say take the OPEN heel fins and get booties- you might have to walk on some unpleasant surface and its a bitch having to do it barefoot or duckwalking with your fins on (trust me- my first time diving after being qualified i went diving in this rocky shore and didnt buy booties yet. it was so painful and the rocks were so hot, that after the dive i rushd to the club and got booties).
when it comes to snorkels i have no idea- i have a crappy one but it gets the job done. when i go freediving or on the rare case of snorkeling i rely more on masks and fins because they are the things that determine your course of action underwater.id recommend you get a good snorkel that allows for comfortable breathiong. if you have to buy online id suggest youd ask people in the website for opinions rather than the possibly fake testimonials on the website.
when i go snorkeling i dont put on a wetsuit but thats due to the climate in israel (warm).
i hope that like the rest i managed to help you in your decision.

I went with a set up from joe diver's website. mask, snorkel, fins. I have booties. I am going to add a wet suit or rash guard later. I plan on stopping in a dive shop at Ocean Isle and getting a mask guard.

I likely will not move to tanks. I like the simplicity and freedom of snorkel. I plan on using my money instead to combine this love with a sea kayak eventually. I have many hobbies, and I my chosen lifestyle warrants that I do not spend an excessive amount. That puts golf, horses, hunting and scuba out for the obsessive end of the scale.

How ever, I can tinker with a snorkel, hunt with a camera, play golf when someone else pays and ride other peoples horses!

I likely will not move to tanks. I like the simplicity and freedom of snorkel. I plan on using my money instead to combine this love with a sea kayak eventually. I have many hobbies, and I my chosen lifestyle warrants that I do not spend an excessive amount. That puts golf, horses, hunting and scuba out for the obsessive end of the scale. How ever, I can tinker with a snorkel, hunt with a camera, play golf when someone else pays and ride other peoples horses!

Well said, chefmike. As I wrote in my earlier message, snorkelling doesn't have to lead to "something better", whatever some scuba and free divers would have us believe. I've snorkelled for four decades and I've never wanted to "graduate" to either scuba or free diving. I too have plenty of interests outside water sports. I also prize the "simplicity and freedom" of snorkelling, which defines very well what one vintage book author called "The Joy of Snorkelling". I love the spontaneity of snorkelling, deciding on the morning I intend to snorkel whether the weather and sea state is auspicious enough and not having to worry about where I get air tanks filled. All that's needed is a bag with my fins, mask and snorkel inside. No need for any extra gadgetry. What could be easier?

Back
Top Bottom